Author Topic: Crashes with 40" 4K TV  (Read 2280 times)

DominusEbad

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Crashes with 40" 4K TV
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
New here and new SlickEdit user. I have my SE installed on my work Linux with two 2K monitors. I have a 40" 4K Samsung TV in my cube that I want to use. However, when I hook up the TV and open SE, the program freezes up and I can't do anything. All I try to do is "open project" and this happens. 4K works fine for everything but SE. Is SE compatible with 4K? If so, what's causing it to freeze? All of my other applications work just fine with the TV.

Thanks in advance!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: Crashes with 40" 4K TV
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
Not sure what's going on there. We mostly use 40" 4k monitors here so they get more testing than anything else.

What Linux are you using? What window manager are you using? How much memory does your system have?

Does it matter which project you open? Try one of the small sample projects that ship with SlickEdit.

DominusEbad

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply!
I am using SUSE 12.2 Linux with GNOME Classic. I also have 8 GB memory.
I can't even open a project before the issue starts.  When I open SE and click the 'Project' button, it will completely lock up and I have to force close it.

Thanks again for any help!

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »
There are a couple of things we can check initially.

First off, start the editor with a clean configuration and see if you can get it to hang.  You can start with a clean config from the command line like this:  YOUR_SE_INSTALL_DIR/bin/vs +new -sc /tmp/clean_config

If it does hang, hit Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S and hold it for a second.  This will break and give a stack trace in the Slick-C interpreter that you can post for us to look at.

If you don't end up hanging with the clean config, we'll give you instructions for sending in your configuration so we can take a look at it. 

DominusEbad

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
When I try with a clean config (it still hangs) and press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S, it doesn't break. I tried holding it for several seconds and no response. I have tried this with two different 4K TVs so far and a different Linux (with same setup) and it hangs each time.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »
What other Linux did you try?

What happens if you only use one monitor, just the 40" 4k? I'm just wondering if it requires multiple monitors to get this issue.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:42:23 AM by Clark »

DominusEbad

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 08:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the response. I believe it does happen only with a second monitor. I had the other monitor (1440p) set as the primary display with the 4K set as secondary. It would hang in this configuration.

I switched the 4K to the primary monitor and the 1440p as the secondary monitor and now SE is working properly. I haven't tried the 4K as the only monitor.

It appears this issue does require multiple monitors and can cause issues if they have different resolutions.

Thanks for all of your assistance!