Author Topic: Request - hex mode in vsdiff  (Read 2556 times)

kmk

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Request - hex mode in vsdiff
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:33:07 PM »
I'd very much appreciate hex mode in vsdiff.

I frequently run into cases where vsdiff shows a whitespace difference, but i cannot tell precisely which whitespace is which (space, tab, cr, lf, etc).  In the editor, i've become used to quickly switching to hex mode to see what's going on, but hex mode does not seem to be available in vsdiff (per the msg i see).

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: Request - hex mode in vsdiff
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
I'll add a feature request for this.  It's a little weird because it brings up questions about how to balance the files.  Whatever lines are there to balance things will still be there and I'm not sure you'll be able to decipher them from real characters.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:44 AM »
When not in DIFF mode, the character code for the character under the cursor is displayed in the status bar - easier to look there than toggling into hex view.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
It might make the most sense to add character status information to diff.

Diff mode could possibly support line hex mode. I don't think stream hex mode would be reasonably possible.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
It might make the most sense to add character status information to diff.

I think this is probably the most bang for the buck in terms of manhours vs usefulness.

kmk

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
I think the character hex code in the status bar would work for my current use case.  Good idea, thanks!

I'm personally not worried about trying to make sense of a hex mode diff across lines, or diffs for that matter.  I was thinking more of an investigative tool:  i see a diff, jump to hex mode to inspect, pop out of hex mode, and continue.

I can see how others may expect more from hex mode during diff, which could cause more support headaches that it's worth.

Thanks for considering this request!  I hope it's feasible to add in a future release.