Author Topic: Questions about extreme slow context tagging and product upgrade!  (Read 1473 times)

shootgun1

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hey guys, I have 3 questions. One is about context tagging, the other is file access, the other one is upgrading my license! I currently own 2015 slickedit.

Question 1- I am working on a project which is on a remote server. I have to use NFS to access the files, update the code, run tests, etc. Doing this over NSF is important since they have an integrated testing/building/etc environment and things get done automatically when I change files over NFS.

The problem here is that. When I copy the files from their server to my computer, I can copy them in 6 minutes. When I try to use slickedit to tag files over NFS, then slickedit takes 20 minutes to tag files! This incredibly long. Is there a way to make this faster? A coworker has 2017 slickedit. He copies the files the same speed as I do from their server. On the other hand, he swears that 2017 slickedit tags files in 10 minutes. It is only few minutes slower than copying the files. Was there any changes to tagging recently? Should I trust his word?

Question 2- When I am editing file if I change active application, say I read an email and get back to slickedit, slickedit freezes. It takes slickedit 3-4 seconds to start accepting input again. I think this is happening because my slickedit is accessing the files again whenever I do alt+tab. Is there a way to fix this? Does this work the same way in Slickedit 2018?

Another co-worker who is using another editor is not having any of these problems.

Question 3- I looked at the upgrade options for the slickedit. Looking at the slickedit page, it shows that the new license is 299$! An option for license upgrade is 60$. Yet, when I look at my home page to upgrade my license it says that the new license for me is 400$

How come upgrading my product is a lot more expensive than buying new one? This does not make any sense to me!

Is there a way to re-enable continuous support for current product? So I pay 60$ instead of 400 or 300? I love slickedit, and I would hate swap editors because of the slow tagging times. Please help!

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:02:50 pm by shootgun1 »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 460
Re: Questions about extreme slow context tagging and product upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:50 am »
I can only address questions (1) and (2):

1) Tagging is doing more than a file copy does, so if it takes six minutes to copy those files from the file server, yes, it will take more time to parse all of them and build a tag database, 10-20 minutes actually does not sound that bad in that respect especially because you can let it finish in the background.  You can improve the performance by making sure your tag database goes to a local drive.  Project > Workspace Properties > Tag Files Directory...  That way you are only reading source files from the NFS drive and not also trying to build a tag database out there.

2) When you switch away from SlickEdit and back, it triggers application activation callbacks.  One of those is to check if your workspace is up-to-date, and refresh wildcard projects, and check if any project files changed.  You can turn this off.  Another is whether or not to update the workspace tag file at that time.  Another is to check if any files open in the editor have changed on disk.  Do the following: 

Tools > Options > Editing > Background Tagging > Update Workspace tag file on activate > OFF
    Tools > Options > File Options > Load > Auto Reload > OFF

Or to use the larger hammer to clobber all the application activation options:

Macro > Set Macro Variable... > def_actapp = 0

EWilliams

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Junior Community Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:55 am »
I would be happy to address question 3 for you but I will need some additional information.  Can you please provide me with the serial number for the SlickEdit product you have? This will allow me to provide the most accurate pricing information for you.

Regards,

Eric Williams
ewilliams@slickedit.com

shootgun1

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:24:34 am »
Thanks for your help Dennis. I will try those tomorrow.

Eric, tomorrow I will install demo version of slickedit 2018 on my system and try the suggestions from Dennis. If it works fast enough, then I will get in touch with you. If it does not work fast enough even with 2018, then I might need to look at other options.

Thanks!

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 122
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:42:09 pm »
When you switch away from SlickEdit and back, it triggers application activation callbacks.  One of those is to check if your workspace is up-to-date, and refresh wildcard projects

Is there really an option to turn off refresh of wildcard projects? Description of "Tools > Options > File Options > Load > Auto Reload" and "Tools > Options > File Options > Load > Auto Reload > OFF" doesn't seem to match refreshing wildcard projects?

I found long time ago (maybe things changed since then) that using wildcard projects with my huge workspace over NFS mounts was tremendously slowed down. This is why I use a different method for updating the file list of my project on demand: https://github.com/rbresalier/sync_project_with_scm

Also, having workspace tag file on a local drive is important for an NFS situation like this.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 460
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 03:11:40 pm »
Setting def_actapp to 0 will kill the wildcard projects refresh.  There is sort of a gap there.  I will look into it, and see if I can hot fix an option to turn off the wildcards projects refresh independently of the auto-reload options and other things that use def_actapp.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 122
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:12:25 pm »
Even if you do allow to configure the wildcard refresh separately, it would not solve the problem of loading the workspace to begin with, a wildcard search would be needed then. With my workspace of 30000+ files over NFS that could freeze SE for too long. So even if you had this separate config, I would still want to use https://github.com/rbresalier/sync_project_with_scm because it saves the file names in the project file to avoid wildcard searching upon workspace load.

So I don't know if it is worth your time to configure wildcard refresh separately unless you go the full distance and also store the found files in the vpj file so that a search is not needed upon workspace load. And even this is not a priority because https://github.com/rbresalier/sync_project_with_scm is there to do the equivalent job. But it could be useful for a longer term feature to make https://github.com/rbresalier/sync_project_with_scm unnecessary.