Author Topic: How to open Search Result in New Tab?  (Read 3318 times)

Kristen

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
How to open Search Result in New Tab?
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:24:22 AM »
I search using "Filename only", from the SEARCH results then double-click on a filename and it opens in a tab.

If I double-click on a different filename it opens using the same tab. If the file in that TAB has been modified then the next file opens in a new tab. I like that behaviour.

However, sometimes I view a file and then want to review another file, in the search list, without closing/reusing the first tab.

Is there some way to do this? Something like RightClick file in search list and choose "Open in new tab"

I tried RightClick the file's TAB thinking there might be a PIN option (not really the solution I want though ...) but I didn't find one.  Does that exist? i.e. the ability to stop a TAB being reused.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: How to open Search Result in New Tab?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »
I don't completely understand, but will Search>Last Find/Grep get you what you want?

Marcel

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »
I have the same question.  Example: A FIF search results in 3 files being found (A, B, C).  In the search window, I double-click on a line in file "A", SE opens a window and tab for A.  Now I go back to the search window and double-click on a line in file B. SE now REPLACES the tab and window for file A with one for file B. I would prefer that SE leave the tab for file A alone and opened a new tab for B.

How do I reconfigure that behavior?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
There is an option that controls that behavior, Tools > Options > Editing > Bookmarks > Automatically close visited files, defaults to On.  Turning it off will keep all files opened by Search Results and References.

Marcel

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »
Thanks Lee, solves my problem.

Kristen

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
I like the "Reuse existing TAB" because I frequently open lots of files, following a Search, but modify very few. If I set Open-in-new-TAB I then have to close lots of TABs.

However, sometimes I do want to "keep" a file TAB, once opened, rather than reuse it.

So if there was a way of explicitly indicating "Open in NEW tab" I think that would provide ultimate flexibility.

My suggestion (Sorry @Dan, hopefully clearer this time) would be to allow RightClick on Search File-list, and have an "open in new TAB" option.

An alternative would be to RightClick the TAB and choose "Pin" or somesuch, which prevented it being reused, and thus double-click on next file (in search file-list) would then open a new tab (and then reuse that TAB for any more file-open commands)

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
That's a reasonable request, it not always obvious that a file opened with Search Results or References will close upon moving to next file if no modifications occur.  I am not sure the wording "Open in new tab" makes it clearer vs just double-clicking it to open, I'll ponder it.

Kristen

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »
I am not sure the wording "Open in new tab" makes it clearer vs just double-clicking it to open

I was basing it on what Chrome does.  Click a link to open it as normal, in current Tab/Window, or use RightClick which provides options including "Open XXX in new tab".