Author Topic: Day One with SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 64-bit) Not Great  (Read 3942 times)

mwood

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Day One with SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 64-bit) Not Great
« on: January 23, 2019, 01:05:07 AM »
Installed v23 today and installed the hotfix, pulled up the COBOL listings that I was diffing in v22 before the update, few seconds of hour glass and then slickedit completely disappears without a word, poof.  Can diff other languages and random files.  Pop up a web request log and do a slickedit regex search and replace to wrap on an item I was looking for, poof slickedit disappears without a trace,  can do the same search with the perl regex and syntax.  I just don't have the time at the moment to invest in debugging slickedit's issues and I really can't send my client's code or logs in anyway.  Anybody else seeing these issues or know of a log that describes what happened when slickedit slits it's wrists and disappears ?
Just to not be all negative, liking the where I am at in my code window on the right side.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:26:34 PM by mwood »

Kristen

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: Day One with SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 64-bit) Not Great
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
You have my sympathy. I recently upgraded (from a really, really, old version) and was disappointed with the 2-second delay on launching DIFF, old version was instant. Also, DIFF failed to highlight differences in some circumstances; it correctly detected files that had a difference, but then would not show those particular differences. So I too was disappointed, relative to my previous experience, but the whole of the rest of the editor is like night-and-day compared to the old one, and the time to search whole folder structures of files is significantly quicker (so much so that at times I don't believe it actually did it!)

Longshot: a fix is coming in HotFix for my problem, but as a workaround they asked me to increase the Wrap Line Length (File options : Load); I increased mine to the MAX value permitted . I had some really long lines in the files that I was trying to DIFF, but my interaction with COBOL was on 80 column punch-cards, so I'm doubting that you have mega-long-lines :)

I would also make sure that SOURCE DIFF is off (in DIFFzilla OPTIONS)

Perhaps try renaming the file extension and DIFF'ing, in case trying to DIFF that particular file-extension is triggering the crash.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 05:37:37 PM »
What platform are you on? If you're on linux, and it's a hard crash, then you might have a core file, assuming that dumping core files is enabled on your system.  (It's not by default on most distributions).  On windows, I think you can only get a minidump if you have the development tools installed.

I checked diffing some cobol files, and didn't reproduce a crash, or see anything suspicious when running with valgrind.  I have more files I can run through it, but it wouldn't surprise me if I don't have anything that will trigger it.

The search problem doesn't sound familiar.  Without a dump, we'd at least need the regex you were searching for that causes the crash.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
Installed v23 today and installed the hotfix, pulled up the COBOL listings that I was diffing in v22 before the update, few seconds of hour glass and then slickedit completely disappears without a word, poof.  Can diff other languages and random files.  Pop up a web request log and do a slickedit regex search and replace to wrap on an item I was looking for, poof slickedit disappears without a trace,  can do the same search with the perl regex and syntax.  I just don't have the time at the moment to invest in debugging slickedit's issues and I really can't send my client's code or logs in anyway.  Anybody else seeing these issues or know of a log that describes what happened when slickedit slits it's wrists and disappears ?
Just to not be all negative, liking the where I am at in my code window on the right side.

You have a set of files that you can reproduce it with?  If so, is there any chance you can send them to me?

Do you have diff columns set up for the extension?

We re-wrote the entire diff engine, and did a ton of testing and automated testing.  I haven't seen this and in most cases it should be much faster.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:59:27 PM by Dan »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 02:22:42 PM »
@mwood can you possibly provide any more information on this crash?

lemooseigh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
I am also having issues with the same version. I'm trialling it from a much older version, and much of the UI feels sluggish compared to 15.0.1.3 - especially the list-buffers window. And it (UI) breaks a lot.

Attached are working and broken views of the options window. This occurs across the entire UI. Daily. Sometimes almost immediately, sometime after a short while.
To note I backed up and removed my old install/config files so this is from a completely fresh start.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »
What platform / environment are you using?  I'm guessing it's something unusual as no-one else has reported this.

lemooseigh

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
I am on Windows 10, all latest updates.
Brief emulation, with Command line prompting and minimap enabled.

Project is a large Visual Studio .sln, with a mix of C++/c# projects. UE4 to be precise. Much using of splitting windows and occasional checkout/diff using Perforce SCM  - that's probably the only bit which would separate me from anyone else, but I have tried with this enabled and disabled and it makes no difference.

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:09 AM »
Does restarting slick fix it for a short time?
If you don't do any window splitting does the problem still happen?
If you work with a different workspace/ project than UE4 does the problem still happen?
Do you run the game engine on your Win 10 machine - if so, if you restart Windows and run slick without running the game engine do you still get the problem?
If you start a second instance of slick after the problem happens, does the second instance of slick immediately go wrong?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:40:32 AM by Graeme »

Graeme

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
BTW - the big difference between slick V15 and V22 is that starting from version 18 or something, slick started using the QT framework/ window manager.

lemooseigh

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
Yeah, I think I spotted that (Qt) from trialling an earlier version - never been keen on it for that very reason.
Restarting always fixes it ( but it does go again ).
I'll attempt to not split windows for you.
I honestely don't have time to try a smaller project, I will see if I can find time before the trial is over.
Game runs on a console, so I don't do anything outrageous with d3d or anything.
I will also try starting a second instance once one has broken.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:15:07 PM »
That UI break appears to be what happens when you change the display setting in Windows 10, "Scale and layout" - if you change scale.
When you change scale back, it doesn't fix it -- you have to restart Slickedit.

The scale can change without you doing it explicitly simply by changing your monitor setup - connect/disconnect external monitor, and I think also thru remote desktop.

In Slickedit, select dark theme.
Tools > Options > Appearance > General -> Application Theme == DARK.
You may also want to set
Tools > Options > Appearance > Colors
To dark so the whole app matches.

When slick is using DarkTheme, it doesn't suffer from this monitor configuration problem.
If only Slickedit had a built in Light theme to match the system ...

lemooseigh

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »
@jporkkahtc, that ties in exactly with what I discovered about when my UI breakage, I use my console monitor as a third screen sometimes, so have it attached via it's spare DisplayPort.
Naturally Windows dicks about with the displays whenever the monitor is turned on/off, and depending on what I am doing I don't always notice immediately that Slickedit has broken itself.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
Check your display settings in both cases - when 3rd screen is attached and when it is not.
Ensure that the Scale setting for all your monitors is always 100% for all displays in both configurations.

The problem I have is my laptop has a built in hires display, so Windows likes to set scaling to 200% or so, while my external monitors don't need this.

lemooseigh

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »
Scale changes from 100% to 150%.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:22:48 AM by lemooseigh »