Author Topic: How to open files in current file tab?  (Read 1149 times)

rdauben

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How to open files in current file tab?
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:54:49 pm »
SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.0.11 64-bit) with Hotfix 2.

How can I get new files to open in the current file tab, instead of always opening in the main window?

I have tried changing the "Files per window" option, but neither setting makes a difference.

Thanks.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 449
Re: How to open files in current file tab?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:29:58 pm »
Close all currently open buffers (File>Close All). Then set "Files per window" to "One file per window". Now if you open two files, you should get one Tab per window. Now if you no tabs are showing do Window>Zoom Toggle.

rdauben

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:41:08 pm »
Thanks, Clark.

It turns out I asked the wrong question.  I want to open the new file in the current floating window, where I already have other files open.  Each file has its own tab in the floating window.  But when I open a new file, it always is docked in the main window.

Thanks.
Ron

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:00:03 pm »
I think that’s a limitation. You can use the “edit” or “e” command on the command line of the MDI floating window and it will open in the currently active MDI window. “e <filename>”

rdauben

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:01:55 pm »
Then maybe there's some other environment setting, because I have the same version of SlickEdit on two Win10 laptops.  On my older one, new files are always opened in the current window that has focus.  But on my newer laptop, new files are always opened in the main doc window, regardless of where focus is.

I even tried exporting all options from the older laptop and importing them into my newer laptop, but the behavior did not change.

Very annoying!

Ron

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:35 pm »
I wouldn't expect this to be dependent on any SlickEdit configuration option. However, it will be dependent on which OS you're running on and how the window manager handles focus for certain situations. I have seen situations where Windows handles things differently but this is rare. Usually, it's the Unix window managers which vary greatly.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 450
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:28 pm »
If you dock the "Open" or "Files" tool window in your floating tab, then anything you open using those tool windows will be opened in the floating tab, provided they are not already open in the main window or another floating tab.  With these tool windows docked, you can still use the keyboard shortcuts to open a file (like Ctrl+O to open a file using the Open tool window).

rdauben

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:41:31 pm »
That works. Thanks!