Author Topic: How to transfer BigFind settings to new user?  (Read 1610 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
How to transfer BigFind settings to new user?
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
In my team I setup a script so that the first time a new user runs SlickEdit it will use a default configuration directory. This default configuration is created using a bash script so I can quickly update it when required. An excerpt from this bash script is as follows:

Code: [Select]
echo "Export SE Configuration"
vs -st 0 +new -sc <myconfigdir> -p export-options -a ${seOptionsExportFile}
rm -fR ${configCleanDir}
echo "Apply hotfix and exit"
vs -st 0 +new -sc ${configCleanDir}
echo "Click to import options"
vs -st 0 +new -sc ${configCleanDir} "-#import-options ${seOptionsExportFile}" "-#safe_exit"
echo "Running one more time for good measure, will exit immediately"
vs -st 0 +new -sc ${configCleanDir} "-#safe_exit"

At this time, ${configCleanDir} has the initial config directory that a new user will get.

However, this does not transfer over the BigFind settings. For example in BigFind, I would like the default for the new user to have "list current context" checked, "list all occurrences" checked as well as having "Search Results window" set to "<Auto Increment>". A new user recently asked me how to see which function a search result was in and I was surprised that it wasn't the default for him already.

So how would I setup this default configuration directory to have BigFind get "list current context" checked, "list all occurrences" checked, and "<Auto Increment>"?

Is it possible to run a macro to set these which I can add to my script for creating default config?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:59:32 PM by rowbearto »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: How to transfer BigFind settings to new user?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
Short version: It is possible, but it is very undocumented (on purpose) and never intended to be configurable.  Would have to think about how to make that possible in the future.

Long version: Sending PM with details.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
Re: How to transfer BigFind settings to new user?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:41 AM »
My personal opinion is that the SE clean config should have the BigFind defaults changed from what they are now to:

List all occurrences
List current context
<Auto Increment>

I think these settings are much more useful than what is there now in a clean config and without changing these defaults it could be a long time before a new user discovers (if at all, before they move on to trying another IDE) these great features.