Author Topic: push-tag on .e files going to old SE version  (Read 2874 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
push-tag on .e files going to old SE version
« on: February 24, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
When I perform push-tag to go to SE macros directory, it is taking me to the older version (23.0.0.11) instead of the 23.0.1.1. I recently upgraded from 23.0.0 to 23.0.1. How to get push-tag to go to the correct macro dir? I don't see the slickedit macros listed in the Tools->Tag Files

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: push-tag on .e files going to old SE version
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
If you already done at least one push-tag, you should have a slickc.vtg tag file listed in Tools->Tag Files. You'll need to delete it. If it's really not there, look for the file slickc.vtg in your config directory at delete that. It will automatically get rebuilt, the next time its needed.

rowbearto

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:48:27 PM »
I can't find slickc.vtg anywhere. It is not in my Tools->Tag files and it is not in my 23.0.1 or even my 23.0.0 config directory.

However I did find uslickc.vtg in 23.0.1/tagfiles. I deleted that while SE was closed and when I reopened SE and did first push-tag, it went to the correct directory. And now I have a new uslickc.vtg file in 23.0.1/tagfiles.

Is it possible that when I upgraded from 23.0.0 to 23.0.1 that it took the uslickc.vtg file along during the configuration transfer? If so that is probably not correct because my 23.0.1 binaries are in a different location. Even my 23.0.1.0 and 23.0.1.1 are in different paths. This way I don't have to disturb other users that are still running the old binary and they can run the new binary once they close SE and run my wrapper script again to launch SE from the new location.

Thanks!

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
Actually when I upgraded from 23.0.1.0 to 23.0.1.1 there is no config transfer so the uslickc.vtg file was untouched and still pointing to 23.0.1.0 I suppose. Would be nice if this could be automatically detected - but it is a very low priority request.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
I didn’t realize Unix used a different file name. I know we adjust the macro locations for a new config directory version. In this case, there’s no new version for the config directory.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
New feature in 23.0.1 makes this much easier.

Document > Slick-C Options... > Tag Files

Select the Slick-C tag file, and then click on Rebuild tag file or Auto-Tag.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
You can also do this via Tools-->Tag Files...highlight the tag file and hit Rebuild Tag File.

rowbearto

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 02:11:25 PM »
Tools->Tag files does not work for the Slick-C tag files, they are no longer there.

Need to use the technique that Dennis wrote.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »
Alternatively, you can create a slick-c tagfile by simply doing a "find-proc" (no quotes) from the SlickEdit command line on ANY SlickEdit function; the slick-c tag file will be automatically generated for you.

rowbearto

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »
Not sure find-proc would work either, the problem was that I already had a slick-c tag file pointing to an older version of Slick (23.0.1.0). Then I installed the newer slick, 23.0.1.1 in a different directory than 23.0.1.0. The typical way I like to jump to the official slick macros is to go into one of my macro files and do "push-tag", but this was bringing me to the older version 23.0.1.0 directory. So I already had a slick-c tag file but it was pointing to the wrong place. So far the only way around this that I see is to delete the uslick.vtg file and do another push-tag after (as Clark suggested) or use Dennis' technique.

rowbearto

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
Dennis: Can you give more detail about auto-tag? Would this automatically update the directory in the uslickc.vtg file if I am running a newer binary (like 23.0.1.1) and my old binary (23.0.1.0) was still around? Next question is what about after I delete the old (23.0.1.0).

Dennis

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
We will be putting out another update soon (23.0.1.2).  I added some code that, for the auto-generated Slick-C tag files, Auto-tag or Rebuild Tag File will always rebuild the tag file, tagging the macros for whatever installation of SlickEdit you are currently running.  Also, Slick-C tagging operations like find-proc will check your current tag file and if it does not have macros from your current installation present, it will rebuild the tag file for your current installation.

This is the way it will work moving forward, older version are, of course, going to continue to do what older versions did.

Tools > Tag Files... will always include Slick-C tag files, unless you have just started with a default configuration and have no Slick-C tag files.  Sometimes it gets a bit lost in the list if you work with enough different languages, but it is there.

rowbearto

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 03:43:31 PM »
Thanks Dennis. Looking closer in Tools->Tag files it is there like you said, just had to look closer as I have many tag files there.

Dennis

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
If the current file when you open Tools > Tag Files.. is Slick-C, it should select Slick-C Tag Files initially when it comes up.