Poll

Do you use (and require) the 32-bit version of SlickEdit?

No, I haven't used a 32-bit OS for years
23 (82.1%)
Yes, Windows
3 (10.7%)
Yes, Linux
1 (3.6%)
Yes, Linux and Windows
1 (3.6%)
Yes, other Unix platform
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 04, 2019, 11:12:07 PM

Author Topic: Anyone still require 32-bit SlickEdit ?  (Read 16833 times)

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Anyone still require 32-bit SlickEdit ?
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:12:07 PM »
Two issues we know would have to be addressed if we go 64-bit only:
  • GDB on Windows, either distribute two binaries or check if latest GDB supports multi-arch on Windows.
  • SCC clients which are 32-bit only, either have to drop support, or put together a 32-bit adaptor process

The advantages to dropping 32-bit SlickEdit would be:
  • Two fewer platforms to test and maintain.
  • More time for us to improve the product in other ways

ebbe

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Anyone still require 32-bit SlickEdit ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:13:49 AM »
I have had issues with using GDB on 32-bit programs where the solution was to switch to the 32-bit version of Slickedit.

JimmieC

• Hero Points: 17
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
I still use SlickEdit 32-bit because I have to maintain some old embedded products where the tools require 32-bit. The 32-bit requirement isn't for the software so much as the JTAG debuggers they use (drivers). That said, the current SE 32-bit probably does all I need it to do for that legacy support.

Currently, I also have a tool chain that we run in an XP VM. I am still running SE v16.0.3.0 32-bit for that. I would like to run the last version of SE for XP in that, but I don't know what version that is. And, I did not have maintenance in those days to get it.

That said, SE 32-bit today probably does all I need for legacy work. However, the embedded systems I work with don't use things like GDB, etc. that others might need. I just use SE as a strong editor, not a debug and scripting environment.

If SE does go 64-bit only, you could keep the last XP compatible version and the last 32-bit, non-XP, version available for customers that need it for legacy support. That is, (in the 64-bit only future) if you purchase SE, these two 32-bit versions are available to the customer as well. Of course, the legacy version will not have new improvements which is how I deal with XP now.

Regards,
Jim

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:52:11 PM »
WRT GDB: Even if the standard windows builds don't to multi-arch, you can build it yourself and select specific architectures, or just select all, and it works fine on Windows.

brianan

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »
I use it occasionally on legacy Windows systems.  Only as the familiar text editor I know, not as a development platform.  I would be happy with a deprecated version for x86.

bengle

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
I would be okay with just having a 64-bit version, but having some sort of SCC adaptor process would make it much easier to use.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:05:53 AM »
I would be okay with just having a 64-bit version, but having some sort of SCC adaptor process would make it much easier to use.

What version control system are you using?

bengle

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
I am using Dimensions from Micro Focus (formerly Serena Software).

Munnukka

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »
I go with JimmieC's answer. Some older, but still in use, tools work only in 32-bit environment. Those are mostly in IoT domain and compilation environment needs a bit tinkering to get it in use. It would be a shame to lose SlickEdit to bring some convenience to whole process.

barqy

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
I also use a 32 bit SCC client, though if the 32 bit slick disappeared, I'd just use the standalone agent.  Negligible impact.

mkempisty

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
We still have some 32-bit OS installations that we use.  So keeping the 32-bit option is a plus for us.

cosborn

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »
We still maintain two 32-bit system for older embedded projects, all the tools are 32-bit, including SlickEdit, maintenance on that machine has expired. No intention to update that system.

jbezem

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »
I have an old version stored for such cases, for me, that's enough.
I'm not sure, but you used to be able to even buy the last SlickEdit for DOS, no longer maintained, but available. If you can do that also for the last 32-bit version, I can fully live with that.

Johan