Author Topic: SlickEdit locks folder after closing file  (Read 4131 times)

sg17681

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit locks folder after closing file
« on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
Version: SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.1.2 64-bit)

Problem: even after closing a file in SE the containing filesystem folder is locked. It seems, SE holds its "current directory" until a file from another folder gets opened. I'm sure this user friendly behaviour (opening another file from same folder) can be implemented in a different way, without locking the folder the whole time.

sg17681

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit locks folder after closing file
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
Possibe solution: why not store the "current folder" in program memory, changing to the corresponding file system root after closing a files buffer. The "current folder" in memory can be reused when opening the open file dialog or interacting with the file system in other means.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: SlickEdit locks folder after closing file
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
I'd suspect that SlickEdit's current directory is in the directory you're trying to modify/delete, which would hold it open.  You can type in "pwd" at the SlickEdit command line to see if that's the case.  (and you can "cd somedir" to change it).

There are a few settings relating to where the current directory will be and when it will be changed, so it's hard to make a general statement, but that seems to be the only thing I've seen holding the directory when trying it out on windows.   Otherwise, once I close a buffer, the directory does not stay locked.