Author Topic: Two Quirks and one Question  (Read 2902 times)

Mario Figueiredo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Two Quirks and one Question
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:20:51 am »
I'm evaluating the new slickedit version and I must say it is worth every single penny. However there are a few quirks and a question:

Quirk 1 - Color Coded "Selection", "Current Line" and "Current Select Line"
The documentation states it is preferable to choose a background color close to the normal background choice. However, what experimentation told me is that there's a bias towards white background, no matter the color choices for normal elements. That is, the closer the selection background color is to white, the more preserved the foreground colors of normal elements will be – just that.

This is fine for brighter normal backgrounds, but renders the new slickedit feature a no-op on dark backgrounds. On my case - where the selection background color is just a tad lighter shade of black when compared to my normal background - I experience no foreground color preservation.

Why not just make this an user option, instead of trying to decide for the user? A simple checkbox with "Preserve Foreground Color" would be enough. I suspect anyone who can code in a programming language, can handle themselves around the notion of foreground and background colors and make their own educated choices.

Quirk 2 - Scope Sensitive Color Coding Setup
More a suggestion – Lib Symbols are nice. I always wanted to be able to color code standard library symbols. However this usefulness is blurred, really, by the fact color coding is not scope sensitive. Take, for instance, MyClass::flush() as opposed to std::flush(ostream&). As it is now, both "flush" will be colored as lib symbols. Do you have any plans for it?

Question :
How do I make the Link command work standalone? I sometimes need to just do the Link stage. Making it visible in the menu by going to Project Properties seems to not work as this command does nothing.

The reason why I need it to work standalone sometimes comes from when I make the mistake of building with the executable still active (this unfortunately happens to me a lot). The linking stage aborts - as it would be expected. But then the only solution I have for vsbuild to become operational again (it can do a Rebuild, but that is out of the question) is to dummy-edit one of the source files. Then I can build again. However, I’m still forced to compile.

I’m particularly interested in how to specify the object files for the link stage. I can make my own tool under Project Properties, but can’t seem to figure a %var that allows me to not have to edit this command every time a new source file is added to the project, for instance.

Mario Figueiredo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Two Quirks and one Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:25:51 pm »
Sorry to bump this. But can someone please help me with my question?