Author Topic: Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds  (Read 11135 times)

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »
You would run "codehelp-trace-push-tag" from the SlickEdit command line (click in the message bar at the bottom and then type the command.)  There is no help on this command, it is an undocumented command strictly for debugging context tagging.

lahughes

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
Do I run the "codehelp-trace-push-tag" before I select the 'find all references' on the method that causes it to lock up? or after? I have no access to the command line while it's grayed out.

Dennis

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 06:04:51 PM »
Follow these steps:

1) Search > Find In Files...
        a) Search for:  (the identifier name of the function that caused the problem when you did references)
        b) Look in:  <Workspace>
        c) File types:  All Files (*)
        d) Match case: checked
        e) Match whole word: checked
        f) Match color: unchecked
        g) Click on "Find"

2) Navigate through the search results and hit Ctrl+Dot to try to do a push-tag.  Basically alternate between Find-Next (Ctrl+g) and Push-tag (Ctrl+.) until you hit a case that seems really slow.  (keyboard shortcuts may vary based on your emulation, you can figure these out).

3) When you find a case that is really slow (note that it might not actually be a reference to the original function, it might be some other function with the same name in another class).  Then put the cursor on back on that symbol, click the mouse in the message bar to reveal the SlickEdit Command line, then type the command "codehelp-trace-push-tag" and hit enter.

4) The trace will go to the SlickEdit debug window which should show up.  Click on that window and then hit Ctrl+X to cut it's contents to the clipboard.  Then paste that to a plain text file and post it here.

The location of the slow push-tag might help you narrow down where things are going wrong in order to trim things down to just a few files.

lahughes

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 08:40:26 PM »
Your steps showed me the problem. The issue is that our repository has a bunch of binary (for lack of a better word) files. In our case *.i, and *.d. These files had strings that were the method I was searching for. In this case ".Unlock(". When ^g from one file to the next, after leaving one of these ".i" files it hung. I was never able to get it back so I killed 'vs.exe'.

I removed all the files from the workspace and when I added the tree I excluded all *.i and *.d files. I no longer have it hanging. So far.

I've not been able to reproduce this with a smaller project with just those files.

Dennis

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Awesome.  I'm glad you found a solution.  It's definitely possible for a binary file named .i (preprocessed C) or .d (D language) to really give tagging problems.