Author Topic: Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds  (Read 11136 times)

lahughes

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:17:10 PM »
Help Please! Slickedit is basically unusable.

I just downloaded Linux version of Slickedit. I am a long time (but not power) user of Slickedit. I created a C++ project and added my source tree. I opened up several files and when I am scrolling through them the window will grey out and is unresponsive.

My terminal shows many of the following messages:
QVariantMap DBusMenuExporterDBus::getProperties(int, const QStringList&) const: Condition failed: action

SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.1.2 64-bit)
OS Version: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Kernel Level: 4.15.0-48-generic
Build Version: #51~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 5 12:01:12 UTC 2019
Processor Architecture: x86_64

X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Memory: 23% Load, 6650MB/28625MB Virtual
Shell Information: /home/lahughes/slickedit-pro2018/bin/secsh -i
Screen Size: 2560 x 1440

Project Type: Gnuc
Language: .cpp (C/C++)
Encoding: Automatic

Hotfixes:
/home/lahughes/.slickedit/23.0.1/hotfixes/hotfix_se2301_4_cumulative.zip (Revision: 4)

I disabled the minimap which didn't help. There is no message indicating what it might be doing.

Thanks for any ideas.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »
I don't know of any known problems that do anything like that.  Probably the fastest way to narrow it down is take a Slick-C profile.

Start up SlickEdit.  Go to the Macro -> Slick C Profiler -> Begin Profiling to start the profiling.  Scroll around in one of the files you're seeing delays in for a couple of minutes.  Then select Macro -> Slick C Profiler -> Finish Profiling to stop the profiling.  And then select Macro -> Slick C Profiler -> Save... to save the profile.tsv file, and attach that to the forum post, and we'll take a look at it.

The terminal messages have something to do with the menu integration with the top menu bar in Ubuntu, but I've not seen those before, so not sure if it's significant yet.  If we want to rule out a problem there, you can start SlickEdit with the QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR environment variable set to 1, and see if that makes any difference.

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 54
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
@lahughes The email address you registered with is not valid. You will not receive notifications of replies to your posts until you correct it.

++rodney

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »
I'm not sure why my email isn't valid - I updated it a couple days ago. I'll double check it.

It took awhile this time for the screen to blank out. It just did and I stopped the profiler and saved the file as directed. I've attached it. Thanks for looking at this!

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »
I forgot to update the forum and had only updated slickedit.com

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »
Out of curiosity, about how long was the profiler running? Was that just scrolling trying to reproduce the problem, or some editing as well?

Do you have symbol coloring enabled?

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
I didn't enable it explicitly - so it's whatever the default for C/C++ is.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Maybe you should capture a few more and see if there is anything in common?

BTW, Patrick also asked
Out of curiosity, about how long was the profiler running? Was that just scrolling trying to reproduce the problem, or some editing as well?

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
Also, what changed?  i.e. have you used slickedit on this version of Ubuntu before?
Are you using a brand new configuration folder or is it one you've used for a while.  If it's not brand new, try a new one with vs.exe +new -sc some-new-empty-folder.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
I've not used the linux version before. The entire setup is new to me. Brand new configuration, fresh SE download, fresh Ubuntu 16.4 install.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
About how long was the profiler running? Was that just scrolling trying to reproduce the problem, or some editing as well?

It looks like there were a lot of tagging lookups, which I wouldn't expect for scrolling unless symbol coloring is on.  Which is why I was wondering if there was editing being done during the profiling too.  If you want to double check and see if symbol coloring is off, go to Document -> C/C++ Options -> View and see if the "Symbol coloring" checkbox is checked.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
The profiler ran some of the afternoon, overnight, and next morning. I did do some editing. Symbol coloring is not selected.
Thanks

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 09:55:49 PM »
Ok, that explains what I see in the profile.  The profile groups things by overall times, so editing functions take up most of the time, and whatever the scrolling contribution was, it was swamped by the noise, and doesn't really stand out.

To attack it from the other end, have you run with the QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR environment variable set to see if that makes scrolling hitches go away?  It should certainly make the terminal messages go away, but I'm not sure if it's related to the performance problem? 

I need to run that version of SlickEdit on a Ubuntu 16.04 and see if I can at least reproduce the messages and see what's causing those.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
I ran yesterday with the QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR set and did not see any of the messages to the terminal. It grayed out/stopped responding twice that I recall.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »
If this was more predictable, I'd be able to have you use something like strace to get a better idea of what was going on when the slowdown occurs.  I haven't reproduced anything with Ubuntu 16.04 so far.

I'd say keep running with that environment variable set for now, just to keep things simple.

So does it seem random to you? Never the same file? Or only big files, or the file size doesn't seem to matter?  Are your source files on a network share?  Hmm, if you look in your system logs on that linux box, is there anything out of the ordinary logged around the time you had the slowdowns?