Author Topic: Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds  (Read 11137 times)

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: Window grays out and is unresponsive for many seconds
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »
Go to Tools > Options... > Editing > Context Tagging(R)

* Verify that you have "Updated references and call tree on single click" turned off (this is off by default).
   * Try the "Find references search strategy" of "Find all references immediately"

If you are absolutely certain that you do not have any References activity going on in the background, then I think you should collect a new profiling run, because the previous one was obviously heavily weighted by a references search you did.

Another thing to try is to close the "Preview" tool window, it can generate some work since it has to load files and extract and format comments.  There are Context Tagging options to make the Preview tool window wait longer before updating.

You pointed out that all your source code is on a local drive.  Is your home directory on a local drive or a shared network drive?

Finally, when you say scrolling, do you mean scrolling in the traditional sense, or cursor/page up/down through the file?

lahughes

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 04:30:32 PM »
  .    * Verify that you have "Updated references and call tree on single click" turned off (this is off by default).
It was set to the default of off
        * Try the "Find references search strategy" of "Find all references immediately"
Changed back to "Find all references immediately". A previous response had me change it to "Find references incrementally"

If you are absolutely certain that you do not have any References activity going on in the background
Other than the lower hand status bar indicating what is going on (there was nothing in the status bar) I don't know how else to be "absolutely certain".

My home directory is a local drive. I've started a new profiler log but I do need to get work done so I can't guarantee there won't be other stuff in there.

When I say scrolling - I mean that I am using the wheel on my trackball mouse and sometimes grabbing the scrollbar handle and dragging it down. Also - I should note that I usually have the "References" tool window showing - rarely do I use the "Preview" tool window.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
I've attached a new profile. There are two gray outs in it - both between approx 1:20 and 1:50 MST. I did not do any editing and I may have done some referencing. There was no message in the status bar while it was gray.

Dennis

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »
You are getting a massive number of _mouse_move() messages.  I don't know if this is unique to the trackball.  I'm going to research the code we are using there a bit more.  I think there are some opportunities for optimzation.

For the time being, I would recommend turning off the following option:

Document > C/C++ Options... > Context Tagging(R) > Show info for symbol under mouse

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
I appreciate all the help here!

If I turn off the option does that mean that I can't hover over a variable and get info for it? (it appears so) If so that's unfortunate as I use that a lot.

I'll update the thread in a bit with status.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
I've used it for a couple of days and so far so good. Is there any news on a possible fix?

Dennis

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
There will be a fix in 23.0.2.  Of course, I don't have your hardware or your code, so I can't really reproduce whether it is going to be fixed entirely in your case, but in theory, the changes I made should cut back the amount of work being done significantly.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 09:22:16 PM »
I'm happy to try out any fixes. I ran into the gray out again. At the time I was finding all references to a method. I did that several times before it finally went to lunch for a bit.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
I'm adding another profiler output. This one didn't have any mouse/wheel action going on (as far as I'm aware). This was a new project that I did a search for all references of a class::unlock() and there are plenty of classes (unrelated) that have an unlock() method.

Dennis

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
Let me ask, since you did not address it.  Is the new profiling run from 23.0.2 ?

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »
No. I went looking for the new update but it isn't available to me yet. At least I look under hotfixes, updates, and upgrades.
SlickEdit Pro 2018 (v23.0.1.2 64-bit)

Serial number: VLX931365
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /home/lahughes/slickedit-pro2018/bin/slickedit.lic

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2019, 05:15:30 PM »
Please download and install 23.0.2

https://www.slickedit.com/trial/slickedit

There are some changes that will hopefully improve the performance.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
I downloaded this version and it still grays out. It's not better or worse.

I've attached a profile that had these actions:
Selected a function that was just in this file and selected 'Go To References' - No gray out.
Moved to the 'Defs' tab, mouse scrolled until I found a method that I knew was in multiple files, double clicked method name, right clicked on method name in window and selected 'Go To References'  - grayed out 11 times before I was able to cancel and it returned with control.
No messages in the status bar. From 'top' it is pegging my CPU, using only 3.1% memory

Dennis

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »
The set of profiling results shows there is something really ugly going on.  There are far too many calls to match_brackets() and match_generic() happening, so I suspect that there is preprocessing in the code that is not being expanded correctly leaving behind what is likely to be mismatched brackets in the source code.

Is it possible for you to share that code with us so that we can work on this problem?  If you can narrow it down to just a few files, then you wouldn't have to share the entire project.

The best way to do this would be to look at the locations where the name of the function you were doing references on appears (use a regular Find in Files, exact case, whole word, to do this) and try a push-tag from each of those locations, you might be able to pinpoint an instance that exhibits the performance problem.  If you do you can run a command like "codehelp-trace-push-tag" to get a trace of what Context Tagging is trying to do in that case.  (The trace will go to SlickEdit's debug window, you can cut it to the clipboard by clicking in the debug window and hitting Ctrl+X).

I know this sounds tedious, but there is no other way for us to get a reproducible case at this point.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
Thanks - I will work on that. However - I did a SE help on push-tag and what came up is tag_push and bookmarks. Can you send me more details on how to do this? (I am not a power user of SE as I do embedded software ;).

I believe I can narrow it down to two files - if so I can send those but I cannot send all of it.