Author Topic: Keywords Missing after added  (Read 1993 times)

marcs

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Keywords Missing after added
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:59:08 PM »
Hello, I am not the one that users this so don't know much of slick edit, this is just hopefully a quick question that someone can answer, as I am unable to get in contact with anyone at the actual company.

Slick Edit in use is SlickEdit Professional 2018 for Windows

My boss who uses slick edit said he spent about 2 hours yesterday adding a bunch of his own keywords into profile "DB2" ( I don't know if it matters but he said the language he uses is Dibol).  After he was done he clicked ok and usually leaves his computer up and running over night, when he came back today, 5/15/2019 Wednesday, all applications where closed so he had to re-open it. When he did all of the keywords where gone.

He is fine with the fact that he has to re enter them all again, he just would like to know if there is anyway to prevent this from happening in the future.

He is on a new computer with automatic updates enabled.  The fact that everything was closed when he came in this morning makes me think the computer restarted on its own and automatically updated, Patch Tuesday?  Maybe he didn't save and that is why the keywords where gone?

But he showed me how he does it and after every keyword you need to apply the changes.  So he showed me an example of adding one keyword, after adding it he closed without saving (because you need to apply the changes before it becomes a keyword) and restarted slickedit and the keyword he just entered was still there so I do not know.

Does anyone have any other ides as to why they where gone?

The only thing I thought of that might fix it is just change his automatic updates from automatically download/install to just automatically download and manually install.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Keywords Missing after added
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:27:52 PM »
In tools -> options -> application options -> exit
what do you have set for "save configuration" and "exit confirmation prompt"?

On the color coding tokens tab there is an "import word list" option so if you can find a list of keywords from somewhere else you can import them all in one go.

You could try opening the file user.cfg.xml in slickedit then go to backup history and do a diff against the most recent backup, then the one before that etc to see if you can find the missing keywords.

You could have a look at the slickedit log file - in the logs folder in your config folder, have a look at vs.log or stack.log.

In the Windows event viewer check for anomalies i.e. in Administrative Tools -> event viewer, -> Windows logs -> system (or application), in the right hand pane click "filter current log", select "critical" and "error" and see if anything turns up.

Last I heard, Windows 10 wouldn't let you control when updates get installed - I think this might be changing  - but you could trick it not to download by telling it you're on a metered connection  - in settings somewhere.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
Had he added them all through the dialog and never closed it?  Patch Tuesday could explain the machine restarting, but it seems odd that there was no trace of the keywords.

marcs

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »
Had he added them all through the dialog and never closed it?  Patch Tuesday could explain the machine restarting, but it seems odd that there was no trace of the keywords.

He adds them all one bye one.  So he opens up the dialog box, inputs what he wants and applies/closes the dialog box.  Than he repeats for all of the words he needs added.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
The easiest way to virtually guarantee this won't again, even though he's always hitting Apply and OK in that dialog is to exit SlickEdit. This will save all of the settings to the user configuration directory.

Alternatively, if you don't want to exit you can simply run the command "save-config" (no quotes) from the SlickEdit command line (the command line can be accessed by hitting Escape in most emulations or simply clicking on the message area in the bottom left corner of the main SlickEdit application window).

And lastly, you can always contact us via www.slickedit.com/supportcase

Best,
SlickEdit Support