Author Topic: How do you iterate on usercpp.h?  (Read 1674 times)

AGodfrey

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How do you iterate on usercpp.h?
« on: May 29, 2019, 07:49:15 PM »
Is there a way to retag just one file?
I work on a large codebase - I have around 50K files tagged.
And when I find a gap in my usercpp.h, I'd like to test my change without retagging all those files.
I sometimes need to do a series of changes before I've fixed my tagging.

I know about the workspace-retag command but I'd like something much faster.
I know how to do it in the Tools > Tag Files UI - I can select just one file there - but browsing to the file I want is a lot of manual work given how many files I have tagged.
(In fact just opening that dialog takes around 5 seconds ... Slick can retag a file in much less time!)

I've searched the forums for retag "one file" or "current buffer" or "a single file" but found no hits.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: How do you iterate on usercpp.h?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:15:13 AM »
In the main edit window, do right click -> show file in projects toolbar.  Then right click on the filename and select "retag file".
You can probably write a macro that calls show-file-in-project-tb then calls the  function ctlretag_files.lbutton_up().  I'll give it a try when I get some time.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 12:19:08 AM »
Also turn on "tag on save"  - in tools -> options -> editing -> background tagging.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »
I think Graeme's idea about background tagging on save is a good one.

You can launch the tag files dialog and select to rebuild the tag file, but only re-tag modified files.  If you do this in the background it might not be too many files.  Unless you get a large update from version control, it should just be the files you have changed personally.