Author Topic: SE 23.0.2 - Runaway Java debug session  (Read 405 times)

Marcel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
SE 23.0.2 - Runaway Java debug session
« on: May 31, 2019, 11:54:47 pm »
This one has been bugging me for awhile.  While stepping through some Java code, all of a sudden the program just runs away, as if I had hit F5.
I can repro this behavior with the attached demo project using Java8. The project doesn't do anything useful, I am just using it to document weird behavior.

Compile the code, then step into the program with F11. After stepping past the first line in doWork(), [... new Timer ...] it just takes off.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 100
Re: SE 23.0.2 - Runaway Java debug session
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:38 pm »
I can reproduce this.  I'm taking a look at it.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 03:22:34 pm »
I'm still looking into it.  It looks like the debugger does stop after the step-over, but we're bringing up the display for the wrong thread, so it looks like it hasn't stopped in the GUI.  So if it happens to you in the meantime, go to the thread pull down box in the call stack tool window, and try switching back to the thread you were debugging on.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 07:17:10 pm »
I've put in a fix for this, but it's not hot-fixable, so it will be in the next release.

I was a little surprised, this bug has been around for a while, and it was just luck in the ordering of a particular array that made it work.  It could happen for any step over or step into where the code run during the step kicked off new threads. 

Marcel

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 10:24:46 pm »
Thanks for fixing this.  I would be willing to play guinea pig for a new dll  ;)

Most of the stuff I am working on has tons of short-lived threads, so I see this problem a lot.