Author Topic: SE 23.0.2 - XHTML - Slickedit hangs trying to load a file  (Read 367 times)

Marcel

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
SE 23.0.2 - XHTML - Slickedit hangs trying to load a file
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:13:55 pm »
Slickedit hangs when trying to load the index.xhtml file from the attached sample project.

Fire up the project and double click on index.xhtml to load it.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 102
Re: SE 23.0.2 - XHTML - Slickedit hangs trying to load a file
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:34:40 pm »
Reproduced with 23.0.1 as well.  To workaround it, you can go to Options -> Languages -> Web Authoring Languages -> XHTML -> Color Coding, go to the Language tab, and uncheck "Use schema for color coding". 

I'll take a look at it.  While that can block for DTD's that are slow to load, for the file it seems to be blocking on, I can open it as a URL from the editor without a delay, so there may be something weird going on there.  Thanks for the report.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 102
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 02:24:02 pm »
Traced it.  Yeah, the responses are really slow for xhtml1-transitional.dtd.  I was wrong about it opening fast, as we had already cached the file when I tried opening it from SlickEdit. So this morning, using wget, it takes about 15s to get that DTD file.  And we end up getting about 4 files, because the DTD has ENTITY tags that reference other .ent documents.

I think there's an open defect or feature request to disconnect the fetching of the DTD's from the main thread,  so the editor doesn't pause when this happens.  I'll add another vote to that. 

Marcel

• Hero Points: 26
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 03:15:21 pm »
Thanks Patrick.
I am following your recommendation and am clearing the "Use schema ...." flag.
It also appears to help with the occasional serious lag during the editing of xhtml files, were it takes 2-3 seconds to just insert a space in the front of a line.