Author Topic: References: Separating test vs non-test code  (Read 3456 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
References: Separating test vs non-test code
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:50:18 PM »
When I do push-ref, gui-push-tag or use the references tool I'd like a convenient way to separate references from test code vs. normal code.
We have a lot of tests- which tend to dominate the references to many functions.
Often I'd like to look at only the non-test references.
The references tool doesn't allow sorting or filtering in any way - but it should.
In our case at least, all test sources are under a "/test/" folder and typically have the word "test" in the filename as well.

I could split each of my projects into test and non-test code, but even then the "Look in" drop down doesn't have entries for each project, just "workspace, current project, etc".
OTOH, "Find Symbol" LookIn does show individual projects, but since it includes their full path I can't see the project names anyways :-(

Currently the references tool left pane has 2 columns, where the 2nd column is used both for path and class name.
If these were separate columns and the columns allowed sorting it would make references a lot more useful.

BTW, the recently added stack in the references tool is *Great*.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:52:41 PM by jporkkahtc »

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: References: Separating test vs non-test code
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
Create a sub-project for the test code.  Configure the sub-project to build a project-specific tag file, and then in Tools > Tag Files... modify that project to not build references (Right click and uncheck "Generate References").   That should take care of eliminating the tests, although, the tag file might get rebuilt with references the next time you rebuild your workspace and project tag files from scratch.