Author Topic: 23.0.2 Linux HF 2 incomplete disassembly while debugging  (Read 2430 times)

rjpontefract

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 10
23.0.2 Linux HF 2 incomplete disassembly while debugging
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:47:23 PM »
During debugging of a C++ source file, I stopped on a breakpoint and selected debug->show disassembly.  Some of the source file was disassembled but it stopped part way through and didn't get to the code at the breakpoint.  I would expect the whole source file to be disassembled.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: 23.0.2 Linux HF 2 incomplete disassembly while debugging
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:16:05 PM »
It looks like if there's an error fetching the disassembly, it does stop there, and leave the file partially dis-assembled.  I suspect we're getting a truncated or malformed response for one of the lines of code and giving up there.  We can probably make it behave better in the face of an error for just a few lines in a source file for a future release.

Is the project you're breaking in open source?  There's logging we can enable to see exactly what's happening, but it includes the disassembly of your source file.  If it's not open source, and you have time to reproduce it, we'll have to send you instructions on how to extract just the failed request, and send it in via the support site.  That would include just the (possibly partial) disassembly of the line it failed on.

rjpontefract

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
I'm happy to reproduce the issue if you can send me the instructions and there's no problem sharing the disassembly.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
Ok, that's good news.

To generate and collect the log:

1) Before you start the debugger, go to the SlickEdit command prompt, and enter "set-var def_debug_logging 1".
2) Start the debugger, run to the breakpoint, and turn on show disassembly.  Hopefully it will still fail.
3) Go ahead and exit the debugger.
4) In your config directory (default: $HOME/.slickedit/23.0.2), there's a logs/debug.log file.  You'll need to compress it with zip, gzip, whatever is handy.
5) We'll send you a PM with instructions on how and where to upload the compressed file.
6) And post a response here, so I'll know to look for the file.

rjpontefract

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
I've successfully collected a log, please let me know where to send it, thanks.

rjpontefract

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 01:02:36 AM »
Ive attached the debug log to case 16976 as requested by Mike in an email.  Thanks.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
Got the logs, I'll take a look a little later this morning.  Thanks for collecting them.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure this gives me enough info to reproduce here.  It looks like it won't be hot-fixable, so the fix is going to be in the next release.

rjpontefract

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the update.  If you need any more information to reproduce the issue, feel free to ask.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
Thanks, I can reproduce it here.  It wasn't quite what I expected. For functions that are long enough, it can't disassemble past a certain point in the function, even when we're asking for a line beyond that point.  I'm changing how we interact with GDB disassemble command to get around this - if it goes to plan, it will have the extra benefit of not taking as long to display the assembly the first time too.