Author Topic: SE Configuration  (Read 1941 times)

SeeCwriter

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
SE Configuration
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:43:37 PM »
My PC died and I was given a new one and having installed SE on it, I'm trying to configure it as I had it before. I have access to my old disk drive. Is there a configuration file that I can just copy over to make this easier?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: SE Configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 10:41:51 AM »
Move over user.cfg.slk from your old config directory.  It will be under the version number.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
Should that be user.cfg.xml?
When does that file get loaded?

Maybe the entire configuration folder could be copied from the old drive, minus the tagfiles folder?
I wonder if "exporting all options" then importing them is the best way.  I have slick set up to automatically export all options whenever I save the configuration - and to a different file each time, however I don't save the configuration until I close slick.  If an export is better than user.cfg.xml, maybe slickedit could automatically do an export whenever the configuration is changed ??

SeeCwriter

• Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 02:15:16 PM »
Copying the config file from my old drive didn't do anything noticeable. Some of the issues I'm having is, Ctrl+D used to delete the current line, now it selects the whole function the line is in and wants to delete it. Ctrl+Del used to delete everything from the cursor to the end of the line, now it opens a change directory dialog. Unchecking the "Indent with tabs" checkbox doesn't stick. It always indents with tabs. Putting the mouse over a variable no longer displays the variable definition. But it does with functions. Ctrl+L selects the current line, and I can expand the selection with the up/down arrows as before, but pressing Ctrl+L again doesn't unselect the line(s). Even moving the cursor to another line doesn't unselect the line(s). And if I type in another area of the file with the selection still selected, the selected lines are modified, not the line where the cursor is.  The only way to unselect the line(s) is move the cursor to another file then move it back.  Ctrl+Up/Dn Arrow used to scroll the file. Now it jumps to the next function. The current line is not highlighted.

I'm using v23.0.2, with hotfix 2302_2.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:37:10 PM by SeeCwriter »

guth

• Hero Points: 7
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 05:18:10 PM »
I just copied the keyboard section from the user.cfg.xml to the new one. I first made sure the the new config uses the same keyboard layout.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 04:43:51 AM »
Have a read of this
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,14969.msg56812.html#msg56812

Make sure slick is closed when you copy over the xml file.  When you run slick, open the xml file in the editor, then save it and see if slick loads it i.e if your settings change to what you used to have.  If you're running the same OS and same version of slick, you could try copying the whole config file over, then maybe export your configuration, start a new empty config folder and import your old config.