Author Topic: Why can't I start C++ debugging from menu or toolbars?  (Read 4631 times)

fritzeflink

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Why can't I start C++ debugging from menu or toolbars?
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »
I have a C++ project that compiles and runs OK. In Visual Studio 2019 I can debug it with the usual debugger.
All the ways to debug a program in slick edit fail with the editor flashing briefly to change layout, then returning to the original layout and a dialog reading "Error starting debugger: Create Process failed".
I can start the debugger only through the SE commandline with "debug-executable". This brings up the usual input window and then runs the program in the debugger. Of course I can bind that command to a button but why does none of the pre-existing means of debuggiong work? Neither the Debug menu, nor the Build/Debug command nor the blue right triangle in the debug toolbar do anything but the above
Thanks

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: Why can't I start C++ debugging from menu or toolbars?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:48:30 PM »
Could you remind me what platform you are on?

What specific kind of project do you have open?  We support many different types of C++ projects, but only certain project types support integrated debugging.

If you go to Project > Project Properties.. and select the Debug tab, what debugger do you have configured as the active debugger?

What debugger did you expect to start?  (GDB, LLDB, WinDBG, or something else)

Does "Build > Execute" work for you?

No matter what kind of project you have open, even if you do not have a project open, you should always be able to start a debug session by going to Debug > Attach Debugger > ... (depends on what you want to do)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:53:15 PM by Dennis »

fritzeflink

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
 was expecting the built in debugger (Visual Studio C++ project) but I'm kinda working with a switch setup here where I use Slickedit for editing and building and then switch to VS for debugging. I had the internal debugger running here but I must say that it doesn't measure up to the Visual Studio debugger. Most datastructures that are bit more comples than just scalar values or the simplest of structs don't show up in the debugger. I may have everything messed up here since I had VS 2015 first, then installed VS 2019, had problems getting the project loaded and compiling in Slickedit and then had to manually add the path to VS so that Slickedit can compile at all.
I may wait for the next version of the editor and then hopefully can have a complete re-install of everything and hopefully it will work better

patrickkox

• Hero Points: 6
  • Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
I think I have the same problem as the OP

Could you remind me what platform you are on?
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (codename Buster)

What specific kind of project do you have open?  We support many different types of C++ projects, but only certain project types support integrated debugging.
single file GNU C/C++ project.
even a simple Hello World program does not work

If you go to Project > Project Properties.. and select the Debug tab, what debugger do you have configured as the active debugger?
GDB
What debugger did you expect to start?  (GDB, LLDB, WinDBG, or something else)
GDB

Does "Build > Execute" work for you?
Yes, the program executes without problerm.

No matter what kind of project you have open, even if you do not have a project open, you should always be able to start a debug session by going to Debug > Attach Debugger > ... (depends on what you want to do)
I keep getting the following 2 errors:
Error starting debugger: GDB has terminated prematurely
Error initializing debugger: GDB has terminated prematurely

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Based on this post, gdb is crashing.
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,1399.msg6205.html#msg6205

Are you running an appropriate version of GDB.  gdb --version
In tools -> options -> debugging -> configurations - do you have the correct gdb selected.

Can you debug with gdb outside of slickedit as described here
https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~sugih/pointers/summary.html

patrickkox

• Hero Points: 6
  • Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
Based on this post, gdb is crashing.
https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,1399.msg6205.html#msg6205

Are you running an appropriate version of GDB.  gdb --version
In tools -> options -> debugging -> configurations - do you have the correct gdb selected.

Can you debug with gdb outside of slickedit as described here
https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~sugih/pointers/summary.html
Hmm, this is weir!I'm sure I've checked both GDB in /usr/bin/gdb and the one provided by SlickEdit it ~/slickedit/bin/gdb and both crashed (IIRC that was on my Laptop),I just switched from the GDB provided by SlickEdit to the one provided by the Debian repo's and not it's working.
I didn't have time to read those posts you're refering to (I'll try to read through the tomorrow), but this is what gdb --version provides:

GDB Provided by SlickEdit
./gdb --version     
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
ImportError: No module named site

GDB Provided by Debian 10
GNU gdb (Debian 8.2.1-2+b3) 8.2.1
gdb --version
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:47:59 AM by patrickkox »