Archived Beta Discussions > SlickEdit 2019 v24 Beta Discussion

First Impressions on Drag and Drop of directory

(1/1)

b:
I tried out the new directory drag and drop feature in Beta1 and have the following observations/opinions.

I don't find it intuitive.  That is, if I drag onto a workspace, I had expected it to create a new project.    Okay, rereading, I see it doesn't, but that was my first thought.   Next, I created a new project and with the project window open, tried to drag and drop onto the dialogue with Files showing (I would have intuited that it would populate the files).  It doesn't.

Finally, just dragging it over to the projects window onto the project, okay so I does put it there, but it doesn't honor the sorts (E.g., Source files goes in the default 'Source Files' folder--even if it was like wildcards, nor anything else).   

So, it's a step, but probably not something I will use in its present state as I think it is more cumbersome than helpful (at least in my work flow).

Lee:
There is a new option with adding wildcards this way, Create parent directory folder. Files added with this option are sorted under a single root parent maintaining the folder layout from root folder they were added.  That is by design, but you can edit the properties of the wildcard in Project properties so that it can be sorted by filtered folders by turning that option off.

Clark:
Seems like if the Project Properties dialog is up, drag/dropping a directory should bring up the Add Tree dialog (probably should matter whether the Files Tab is active).

Clark:
Beta 2 will support drag/drop of files or directories when the Project Properties Files Tab is displayed.

b:

--- Quote from: Clark on August 05, 2019, 11:56:11 am ---Beta 2 will support drag/drop of files or directories when the Project Properties Files Tab is displayed.

--- End quote ---

Excellent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version