Author Topic: Slickedit beta 2 and beta 3 hang issues (possibly related)  (Read 1544 times)

mtaylor_emeraldcave_net

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Slickedit beta 2 and beta 3 hang issues (possibly related)
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:15:17 pm »
I have had one or two problems with Slickedit that required me to delete vslick.sta and vrestore.slk and .vtg files.  I'm not sure they are related:

• Three times I have had the search window stop functioning (find and find and replace in files was not affected).  The buttons would stay grayed out.  The mini search window was also not affected.  Removing the state file and restore file resolved the issue, but lost my setup.
  • Once it would startup but any attempt to access a project would cause slickedit to take 100% CPU and hang.  I let it run overnight but it never recovered.  In this case I deleted vslick.sta and vrestore.slk but it didn't resolve the problem. Then I deleted all my vtg files from disk and from the vtag configuration window and then restarted and I was able to access the project without hanging.
  • Once it failed to startup and hung with only the bare outline of the window layout rendered and nothing restored or visible (i.e. blank windows where 'find and replace' should have been and unable to click or type anything)
I don't know if they are related or not, but given that I do the same thing every day all day - search, edit, save, repeat - I thought they might be related.  I have a suspicion that case #3 above was the same as case #2 and happened because some project-related window was being restored and files were corrupted.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:17:32 pm by mtaylor_emeraldcave_net »

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Slickedit beta 2 and beta 3 hang issues (possibly related)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:32:57 pm »
What platform are you running on?  With regard to the Find and Replace tool window, do you normally have it docked or floating all the time, or just bring it up as needed and close after?  And by not functioning, is it just the Find/Replace buttons at the bottom grayed out or are all of the controls disabled some way.   It would be great if you could grab a screenshot of it if it occurs again so I could see all the active settings.

Is there anything about the project you could share publicly?  About how many files are in the project and are there wildcards that define the files for the project?

mtaylor_emeraldcave_net

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:19:19 am »
OS Version: Ubuntu 19.04
Kernel Level: 5.0.0-27-generic
Build Version: #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 20 19:53:07 UTC 2019
Processor Architecture: x86_64

It's running under VMWare Workstation 15 Pro (15.1.0 build-13591040)

I always dock it on the left side of the screen and it's almost always up.

Yes, it's just the buttons that are disabled.  There are 591 files included by wildcards.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:58:15 pm »
Thanks for the additional info.  I was able to reproduce this using a VM instance, though not repeatably.  I'll will investigate.  I will attempt to reproduce with wildcards, when you say you attempt to access the project, do you expand it or click on it in the Projects tool window?

mtaylor_emeraldcave_net

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:00 am »
I believe it happened when opening the project details from the build menu to try to adjust the build settings.  I do that more than I adjust the files, because... wildcards.  Thanks.