Author Topic: B3: Smart Open column is not properly sized  (Read 9269 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: B3: Smart Open column is not properly sized
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 05:21:41 PM »
It's already set to Bridged. I clicked on Advanced. I don't know what to do there. The are some Bandwidth: combo boxes set to Unlimited. I regenerated a Mac address but that didn't help.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
What about the Shared Folders?

Under "Attached to" in Name: , it should have the name of your ethernet adapter. It may be that it took my adapter and that is why it is not working? In Name: see if you can change it to your ethernet or wifi adapter. You can also try temporarily enabling Adapter 2 and see what it places in Name: and Adapter Type, or disable adapter 1 and try adapter 2.

rowbearto

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »
Also, I think I made a mistake earlier when I said the Adapter Type under advanced should match your adapter. I think what is in Advanced is the adapter that the VM emulates. I have this at Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM). What is important I think is that the Name field matches your ethernet/wifi device.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »
Share Folders doesn't seem to work on your VM. I got Share Folders to work on a CentOS 5 VM I have. First time I've ever done that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:47:39 AM by Clark »

rowbearto

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 12:57:39 AM »
I tried to do shared folders on a similar VM that I have, I got it to work, I found I had to do the following:

1) When setting up the shared folders in settings, make sure to enable "auto-mount"
2) Inside the VM add "setest" user to "vboxsf" unix group. This can be done by editing as root (using "sudo vi" or one of the older SE installs with sudo) the /etc/group file and changing the last line to add the "setest" user. My "vboxsf" line in /etc/group now looks like: "vboxsf:x:985:setest". The 985 was already in there before I edited, you may have a different number. What is important is to add the ":setest" afterwards.
3) After changing the /etc/group, restart the machine
4) Now you should find the shared folder under /media and you should be able to "cd" into it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
I'm using VMWare Workstation Pro. I wouldn't think it would use vboxsf for the group.

I'm not seeing an "auto-mount" option.

rowbearto

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
I'm using Virtualbox, not VMWare workstation. The VM was created with VirtualBox which is free for commercial use, I don't have VMWare workstation - that costs money to buy a license, so I use the "free for commercial use" VirtualBox instead.

The Virtualbox on my PC that I tried with today in 5.2.26, shared folders and networking work. The original post with the VM said 5.2.18. The original post also says: " IMPORTANT: Install Virtualbox extension pack " . The original post also discusses how to import into Virtualbox. Link to "original post": https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,16369.msg63161.html#msg63161

You can download Virtualbox 5.2 series from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_2

If you continue trying VMWare you may need to install the VMWare tools on the guest? But I think you'll have better luck with VirtualBox.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 02:10:34 PM by rowbearto »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »
I'll try Virtual Box

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »
Able to access the network now.

Reproduced the problem. Must have something to do with the font and/or the resolution. When I change the resolution, I still get the problem. It's clipping about 1 character.

rowbearto

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Excellent, glad you reproduced it. I’ve seen cases where 3-4 characters are clipped.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »
This is a very odd problem. I'm surprised I can't reproduce this on other platforms. You definitely need to have the files open that are being listed. It's like the bitmap image size isn't being accounted for correctly.

rowbearto

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
The issue seems very similar to what I reported in 2017 here: https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,15458.0.html

I know it was fixed because I haven't had the issue until v24 beta.

So I wonder if that fix was somehow "backed out". I'm sure you could lookup what was done to fix that issue in 2017 and maybe it is still relevant or got removed somehow?

Also see Dennis comment here: https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,15458.msg58993.html#msg58993

Strange problem, given that the clipping seems to relate to the files being open or not.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
This issue is fixed for the next build.

Looks like a fix was made to v24 that exposed this bug.

Easy to explain the issue. When QFontMetrics (a Qt class) is used, you need to specify the device. If you don't specify the device, you can't rely on the any font calculations because they may be calculated against the wrong device. For example, when printing, you must specify the printer device or you will always get the wrong calculation. In this case, a QWidget must be specified for the device.

What makes this bug so sneaky is that when you don't specify a device, on some platforms it will work all the time. On other platforms, it will work with some displays and not others.

rowbearto

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
Thanks Clark for the persistence and fixing the issue! Really appreciate it!