Author Topic: c++ color coding issues  (Read 4217 times)

TKasparek

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 29
c++ color coding issues
« on: September 19, 2019, 05:08:59 PM »
1: While the color coding is being applied to c++ code, if I scroll I can end up with sections of code that are not colored. It's gotten bad enough that I've had to map a key to disable/enable color coding. (I use relaxed symbol lookups)

I get the feeling that when it takes multiple passes of colorLines to get through the DBS_GET_SYMBOLS stage we end up passing in different startLine and endLine and the stateInfo gets screwed up. I haven't been able to prove my suspicion yet though...

I created a regex color analyzer for log/trace files that uses a very similar process. I actually use a dumbed down version of determineLineRangeToColor() as well as an instance of LineNumberRanges to keep track of my coloring analysis. I limit mine to determining/coloring/adding to number rage in a single pass and haven't seen this issue with my macros; but it is persistent daily with symbol coloring.

Obviously I a bit of a noob with SE coloring macros so take my gut feel with a giant grain of salt...

2: Is there any thread safety between symbol color updating and how it modifies p_window_id and running macros that modify p_window_id (specifical callbacks from timers)? My regex color analyzer runs off a timer for its passes currently and I've seen a few times where my coloring is getting applied to another buffer, presumably my macro is running on a buffer and symbol coloring times out and runs out and calls _UpdateSymbolColoring on a particular window.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
Re: c++ color coding issues
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »
The symbol coloring is not threaded, so this has nothing to do with threads (we can't thread it because it calls code that isn't thread safe yet).

I will try to create a test file and see if I can reproduce the issue.

One thing to remember is that sometimes Symbol Coloring will not update because it gets pre-empted by more pressing operations, like background tagging.  If we are busy building or updating a tag file in the background, Symbol Coloring will shut down until that is done.  So it can seem like it isn't working, but it really is just not working "yet".

TKasparek

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »
1: For the first issue
If we are busy building or updating a tag file in the background, Symbol Coloring will shut down until that is done.  So it can seem like it isn't working, but it really is just not working "yet".
I don't believe that is the issue. The _UpdateSymbolColoring() function returns visible current, off-screen current, visible other, off-screen other. I'm seeing a visible chunk being colored, but not containing the whole visible area. Say I scroll up 10 lines, those 10 lines are not colored when coloring finally appears. Then I see on the mini-map the above code colored and then below being colored without the entire visible chunk being updated. I can scroll all over but that chunk (10 lines in the example) will never be colored until symbol coloring is forced reset for the buffer.

2: For the second issue I'll rephrase my question. Is the thread used for calling pfnCallback parameter of _set_timer() the same as the one that is doing the symbol coloring? If not, are they guaranteed to not be called at the same time to protect overwriting p_window_id? My timer function scans through all showing buffers and applies some coloring to the ones that contain a certain unique BufferInfo key (much like symbol coloring does). If the timer function is being called at the same time as symbol coloring, I believe they could each be overwriting each other; causing my timer function to 'switch' to a different buffer mid process.

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 02:21:38 PM »
Slick-C does not support multiple threads.  Timer callbacks also run on the main thread.

Dennis

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »
FWIW, I just reproduced the problem.  This will be difficult to debug, because it takes a lot of scrolling around and trickery to even make it happen.  Expect the fix to come in a hot fix to 24.

TKasparek

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
I would be happy to test a fix for you when you have it. This reproduces for me constantly...

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:59:11 PM »
This will be fixed in the first hot fix for v24.  Thanks you for helping me narrow this one down.  The problem was not in the line number range utility class, but rather in how it was being used.