Author Topic: Wondering how many people use code annotations  (Read 1874 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Wondering how many people use code annotations
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
I don't use code annotations but I'm wondering if SlickEdit could turn code annotations into an inexpensive new product e.g. $30-.  It would allow the user to create code annotations but not to actually edit code - so you can't use it for coding but you can use it to create code annotations and to read code annotations and to navigate code using the tagging engine.  Only use I can think of for it is code reviews.  But maybe it might get people interested in buying the full slickedit.  I guess the pip program tells slick-team how many people use different features.  I wonder how many people have the product improvement thing enabled.

Makes me wonder what marketing slickedit does.  Google for "best code editor" and slickedit doesn't really show up  - nor does UltraEdit.  Google for best c++ code editor and still no show.  Anyone have good ideas on how to market slickedit - inexpensively... ?

[This article mentions slickedit but not ultraedit] - https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-ide-editors-source-code-editors/

joecar

• Hero Points: 9
  • engineer/gearhead
Re: Wondering how many people use code annotations
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
When I added code annotations to show (off) in code reviews, I was told to add them as comments (and I'm the only one using SlickEdit; same at my previous job).

They are useful to me, but I think the community is either not ready, or they don't get it, or they prefer cheap/free tools (which typically don't do much).

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
A cheap version of SE that lets you browse code (using tags) and annotate it, but not edit code, might be a great idea...
how would you get it into the hands of people that would use such a thing (i.e. managers and non-tech people);

you would have to show that it has ability to view any/all file types (this would be a big deal).

:)

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:34:03 PM »
BTW:
the Code Annotation tab/window is cramped...
a button to arrange the comment text pane horizontally or vertically would be very handy (i.e. similar to the References pane).
please/thanks :)

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
Also, the Show Types column uses a lot of space... maybe it too could be rearranged somehow.

joecar

• engineer/gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »
( btw also: comment about vertical/horizontal arrangement applies to Clipboards window/tab )