Author Topic: Heterogeneous Workspace problem  (Read 4902 times)

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Heterogeneous Workspace problem
« on: January 06, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
Hello,

I have a workspace containing a SlickEdit project (FME2 in the screenshot).  When I add a VisStudio project (FME_Bench) to the workspace, none of the files are listed in the Project pane.

Am I doing something wrong?

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
Re: Heterogeneous Workspace problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
You're not the only one.  I complained about this once ( http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=279.0 ), but I think it might have fallen through the cracks.  I suppose I should send something to SlickEdit Support, to ensure it gets noticed this time.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:34:17 PM »
Sorry to have missed this earlier and the one from last August. This is neither a bug nor a feature, but one of those things that lies between what you thought of and things that don't work.

In other words, this is a use case we haven't considered. We have limited ability to modify Visual Studio projects. Our instructions to people working with Visual Studio is to create your solutions and projects in Visual Studio and then you should be able to add files in SlickEdit. Of course, we still get problem reports for project types that are new to Visual Studio that we still can't work with.

You're better off with two different workspace, here. It seems like these projects must be compiled by different compilers, correct? Otherwise, they'd all be Visual Studio files or non-Visual Studio files. If you are calling from one into the other, then you can tag the one and have the symbols available in the other.

If you have source files from a Visual Studio project that you want to use in a non-Visual Studio project, your best bet is to just add those files to a non-Visual Studio project.

Let me know if this helps.

--Scott

Phil Barila

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »
I wasn't aware anyone had asked for you to modify anything Visual Studio, at least in this thread?  I certainly didn't.  I'm just asking for the files referenced by the VS project that I've added to the SlickEdit workspace to appear in the Projects window.  The files do get tagged, and the file contents appear, correctly, in the Classes window.  The files just don't get displayed in the Projects pane.  Surely, that's a simple thing to fix, and reasonable to expect?

Phil Barila

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:15:16 PM »
Bump.
Any possibility of this getting addressed in the foreseeable future?  This is really a bit of a hindrance, either I have to maintain a separate .vpj for the project that already has a working .vcproj, or I get the tags, I just don't get the files displayed in the projects window.  I'm completely satisfied with the .vcproj being treated as read-only, I think that's how .sln/.vcproj should be treated anyway.  Just display the files in the .vcproj the same way as when it's loaded through a .sln.
ScottW, in reading your entry again I noticed this:

It seems like these projects must be compiled by different compilers, correct? Otherwise, they'd all be Visual Studio files or non-Visual Studio files. If you are calling from one into the other, then you can tag the one and have the symbols available in the other.
Yes, in my case, I have a vpw/vpj that contains source files to a driver.  The driver shares headers with a UM module, which is described by the .vcproj that I want to use.  Yes, I could just add those headers.  But this seems like a simple problem for SE, since it handles the .vcproj well enough to tag the files it references, it just won't display them.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:22:37 PM by Phil Barila »