Author Topic: How do you setup shelving with an an unsupported (or no) version control system  (Read 1919 times)

b

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26

Our company uses Accurev, which past threads shows that SE doesn't support.    So, I wanted to look into SE's shelving.   However, reviewing the help, it appears that the shelving is only possible with a working version control system.  Is this correct?   If it can be done without (just a flat filesystem directory), how does one set it up (and could this be added to the help).

It appears the topic is sparse is the search of the forum.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
We added shelving from multi-file diff for SlickEdit 2019.

When you create the shelf, the modified version is the one you right click in, the base version is the other side.  When you unshelve, one modified version is the one in the shelf file, and one is the local version.  Then it performs a three way merge.  If you need any help with it let me know.

b

We added shelving from multi-file diff for SlickEdit 2019.

When you create the shelf, the modified version is the one you right click in, the base version is the other side.  When you unshelve, one modified version is the one in the shelf file, and one is the local version.  Then it performs a three way merge.  If you need any help with it let me know.

It is still not clear how to create the shelf to begin with (since the help states you create the shelf from the version control menu).   When I right click in the file, the only option I see is to open a shelf (which wants a zip file that has not yet been created), or list shelves (which, again don't yet exit).

[Edit]
Ah hah!  I found the creation via the right click in the multi-diff.  Not at all what I would have expected (might I suggest this be added in the Help).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:39:33 PM by b »

b

Just a note that if you ^A to select all of the files and right click, you get different menu depending upon whether it was a file, or directory (if a directory, it doesn't show the 'Create shelf with selected items').   Since everything was selected, it is not obvious of this nuanced right click menu.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
I will look into improving this.