Author Topic: Window setting  (Read 4561 times)

djc6535

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Window setting
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:42:05 PM »
Hello,
   I am currently operating with a new installation of Slickedit.  On a previous version I had my editor windows set a particular way and I can't seem to figure out how to get it back.

The system I had kept each file in a different window, but that window was kept in the docked area of the main slickedit window.  Similar to what happens when you tile your windows except I could drag the windows around the editor area.

Note this is different than when you set an editor to 'float' as this pops it out into an entirely different window undocked from Slickedit main. 

I don't know what to even call this, which makes searching for it difficult, but I'd certainly appreciate any help/suggestions you have.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Window setting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 05:30:25 AM »
Does this sound like what you're talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface
Slickedit switched from MDI several years ago.  Child windows are no longer bound by the main window - they can float anywhere.  This seems significantly better than MDI to me but some people don't think so.
Not sure if this is useful but slickedit does have some new commands for saving and restoring window layout
save_named_layout
load_named_layout
also
save_named_state
load_named_state
save_named_files
load_named_files

Floating edit windows also support named layouts - right click on the filename tab and choose "layouts".