Author Topic: Cannot access build process  (Read 3595 times)

guth

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
Cannot access build process
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
In SlickEdit 24.0.8 on Windows 10, I can no longer do Ctrl-X Enter to get to shell. I get some error message as in enclosed image. The error message is "Unable to open inpipe lasterror=2 [\\.\pipe\LOCAL\slick.169932.0]

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: Cannot access build process
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
So far, this only occurs due to some anti-virus issues.

* Macafee -- Something in Adaptive Threat Protection --customer never gave us the exact info on this one.
* Symantec Data Loss Prevention -- This one seems to stop the Defs tool window from listing symbols and possibly some other issues but I don't know if this stopped the Build shell from starting.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:03:10 PM by Clark »

guth

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
It worked fine in v23 though. We have McAfee on our work computers, but I have no possibility to change its configuration.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »
Do you still have v23 installed on this machine? If not, try installing it and see if it works.

guth

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 10:22:45 PM »
I read somewhere that one might need to try creating the pipe up to 10 times. I reluctantly tried this, thinking it would not work, but after pressing ctrl-x enter around ten times, each time giving the error message, all of a sudden the shell pops up. Maybe the antivirus tool learns the behavior and does not consider it wrong after some tries. Sounds very fishy to me, but it works.

guth

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »
Now when I started slick again, I had to do the start-process ten-ish times before the Shell poped up, so it seems the antivirus doesn't learn between invokations.

fritzeflink

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »
Add the path to your SE installation and to your SE configuration in the user directory to your virus scanner's exclusion list.