Author Topic: About "Save As" + don't "Keep old file": seems it still keeps the old file  (Read 6004 times)

at5dapa1

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 24
1. In Notepad++ there is a "Save As" and a separate "Rename". I thought that SE's equivalent is "Keep old file" in the Save As dialog, but didn't see any difference. The old file always remains, have to manually open explorer and delete it...

2. Also in Help under "Saving Files" there are two identical "To save the current file or buffer with another name". I guess the 2nd should be "To save a copy of the current...".

3. Also did try to add "Save As" to the "_bufftabs_menu" (from Macros -> Menus -> Open Menu -> _bufftabs_menu -> Open) but I couldn't add anything to it (wanted to add gui-save-as). Is this menu customisable at all?
Thanks,
Daniel

Code: [Select]
SlickEdit Pro 2019 (v24.0.0.8 64-bit)
Serial number: WB951378
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\24\slickedit.lic
Build Date: October 2, 2019   (State file: October 29, 2019)
Emulation: Visual Studio
OS Version: 10.00.0 
Memory: 13% Load, 4415MB/32481MB Physical, 5248MB/32481MB Page File, 5249MB/134217727MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080
Project Type: (Other)
Language: .m (Matlab)
Encoding: Automatic
Installation Directory: D:\tools\totalcmd\Tools\dev\SlickEdit\core\24.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,645151MB free)
Configuration Directory: D:\tools\totalcmd\Tools\dev\SlickEdit\config\24.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,645151MB free)
Spill File: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\$slk.10080 (non-removable drive,NTFS,36743MB free)
Hotfixes:
D:\tools\totalcmd\Tools\dev\SlickEdit\config\24.0.0\hotfixes\hotfix_se2400_3_cumulative.zip (Revision: 3)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: About "Save As" + don't "Keep old file": seems it still keeps the old file
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 12:48:15 AM »
The "Keep old file" check box has nothing to do with deleting files.  It determines whether the buffer name changes. Maybe it should be called "Keep old buffer name". When on, you are just writing the contents of the current buffer to some output filename.

at5dapa1

• Hero Points: 24
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
Thanks for the answer. Can then SE have an equivalent to Notepad++'s Rename? This is useful while refactoring Matlab code which requires the name of the script file to match the script's main function.
Thanks,
Daniel

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 06:40:05 PM »
Amazing --- I never noticed that!
I've also wanted a "Save copy as" from slick, and there it is staring me in the face.
Not only that, now I see "File ->Save Copy as". When did that get added? I'm so used to not having that, I apparently never noticed it when it got added :o

Anyways, I'd second that "rename"
Renaming an open buffer in Slick is painful, and you lose file backup history.
Ideally, rename would also update file backup history - at least renaming the file in history, and at best recording the fact that there was a rename and dealing with it correctly. (Could be you just duplicate file backup history under the new name).

While you are at it, add "delete" too :-)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:02:42 AM »
Rename would be very useful. Extra complexity with Backup History and Projects but should be doable.

"Save Copy As" is redundant. Same as "Save As" with Keep old file checked. It's just WAY more obvious what it does.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »
I would also like a rename. Especially if I could right click an tab for a buffer and have a rename option there. And if the file is in my project then update the vpj file with the new name of the file. I encounter this quite a bit when I create a new source file, it takes me a few tries to get a good name for a new source file, so I keep having to rename outside SE and update my project file.

I posted a request for this feature last year: https://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=16335.0

sandbox

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
The plan is to add a Rename feature to v25 which will rename file on disk, project, file menu history, backup history (copied), and optionally version control (off by default). The Document tab is a good place for it.

rowbearto

Excellent news Clark!

I recently wanted to rename a directory from the Smart open window (in either top or bottom panes). Tried right clicking it but no rename option. Please consider this a related feature request.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Excellent news Clark!

I recently wanted to rename a directory from the Smart open window (in either top or bottom panes). Tried right clicking it but no rename option. Please consider this a related feature request.

Definitely a great idea. Can't promise we can add this too but we will at least look into it.

rowbearto

For directory rename, if it can easily be developed without update the project/vpj file, I'm fine with that. I use a macro to update my project file list anyway, so I can rerun it after a dir rename. It may even be faster if project/vpj not updated as no directory scan needed - so even if SE can update the vpj file it could be nice to offer a rename option without updating the vpj for speed.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
For directory rename, if it can easily be developed without update the project/vpj file, I'm fine with that. I use a macro to update my project file list anyway, so I can rerun it after a dir rename. It may even be faster if project/vpj not updated as no directory scan needed - so even if SE can update the vpj file it could be nice to offer a rename option without updating the vpj for speed.

Making this perform well for projects is what makes this tricky. I think we can make this fast but it absolutely will not be able to use the code for renaming a file. It will have to work a bit like SlickEdit's project properties dialog which has been optimized for massive file deletes and adds. Due to speed, I suspect we won't be able to support all version control systems. Although, automatic adds and deletes from version control is turned off by default so this is less of a big deal.

rowbearto

I'd be happy just being able to rename the directory as if I did a "mv" command at the bash prompt but staying in SE to do it. Don't mind at all if project is not updated.