Author Topic: Auto-complete box appears and disappears (24.0.0.8, hotfix 3)  (Read 3054 times)

vandermyer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Auto-complete box appears and disappears (24.0.0.8, hotfix 3)
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »
When typing I find that the auto-complete options keep appearing and disappearing before I can select an option. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there maybe some configuration that affects this - for example, the Auto-Complete  performance tuning? All suggestions appreciated!

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Auto-complete box appears and disappears (24.0.0.8, hotfix 3)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
What operating system?
Does the behaviour vary or does it go wrong every time?
Did this problem start happening with V24 ?
A long shot but you could try running slickedit with a brand new configuration folder
vs.exe +new -sc "some-empty-folder"

vandermyer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 11:49:43 AM »
Issue only started with latest version of VS. Running on Windows 10. If I use Alt-. I get the options as expected, but as soon as I type another character the auto-complete options disappear.

Tried clean configuration and it did not make any difference.

rajkej

• Hero Points: 14
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
I'm running on Mac with the 24.0.0.8 and hotfix 3. In my case, since the patch the auto-complete options take about 20seconds to show up and SE stops responding during that time. Before I applied hotfix 3 things were much more responsive.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
We are going to need to have reproducible examples.

rajkej

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »
With my large project ~8K files, I had to unload patch 3. Once I did, the 20s wait went down to < 2s. I wouldn't be able to send you my project and my smaller projects don't seem to have an issue. I do build tag files without references turned on. What's the process for generating a VS profile for you to see the long wait I get? Would that help at all?

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 03:51:23 PM »
Macro > Slick-C Profiler > ...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:10:39 PM »
With my large project ~8K files, I had to unload patch 3. Once I did, the 20s wait went down to < 2s. I wouldn't be able to send you my project and my smaller projects don't seem to have an issue. I do build tag files without references turned on. What's the process for generating a VS profile for you to see the long wait I get? Would that help at all?

You could try making a copy of your workspace tag file (.vtg file) and adding the copy as a language specific tag file (Tools>Options>Languages>Application Languages>C/C++>Tag Files -- I'm guessing you're using C++ but I have no idea). That might help reproduce the problem. Then we wouldn't need your source. We would still need need a sample function and statement to complete.

rajkej

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
I unloaded the hotfix 3 yesterday to get my performance back. After the discussion I tried profiling the operations that were causing me issues and noted the performance. Then I reloaded hotfix 3 and the performance is not great but not at the 20s time either. I'm seeing about 4 seconds wait for the auto-complete box to show up.

I went ahead and created a new project and added the tag file like you mentioned (I am using C++). Then I just try to get auto-complete for the function and it takes 4s. The profiler output shows it to be spending a lot of time searching java paths (due to javadoc comments?). It seems to take the 4s each different parameter for the method I'm using. i.e. Cmd-Comma calls function-argument-help which shows my javadoc help after about 1-2 seconds and then 2-3 seconds later the auto complete box shows up. After I fill in the first parameter and type ',' for the next parameter I have to wait about 4 more seconds.

I can send the tag file and other information via e-mail to support if that works? Let me know what files to send in other than the .vtg if you want them.

Dennis

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 10:57:22 PM »
Could you do that again, or if you still have the same editor up, do Macro > Slick-C Profiler > Save...

The screen shot was helpful, but you seem to have it sorted on an odd column, so I'm not sure how accurate what I am looking at is.

rajkej

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »
I tried doing a save but nothing happened that I could tell and I couldn't find a file anywhere. So here's the default sort order. I had sorted on the last column last time.

Dennis

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for your efforts tracking down this problem.  This will be fixed in the next hot fix for 24.0.0.