Author Topic: Ambivalent key binding  (Read 3282 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Ambivalent key binding
« on: November 10, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
Help, What is key...
press Ctrl-.
"Ctrl-. runs the command push-tag" and a nice help page pops up to explain what that is. Magic.

So, press Ctrl-. and get a popup saying "No symbols found matching 0" (my cursor is just after a '0' in an edit window). Check the search menu and that says "Goto definition  Ctrl-."

I am pretty sure it did actually do a push-tag the other day. I check Tools, Options... Key Bindings and that says Ctrl-. should do push-tag too. Restarted SE just in case in needs a spanking but that made no difference.

I then unbound Ctl-. from push-tag and then added it back. Still no difference - Ctrl-. still does a 'goto definition'.

SE24 hotfix 3

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Ambivalent key binding
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »
Hi. push-tag and "go to definition" are actually the same thing.  They both push a bookmark and jump to the definition.  You can then use pop-bookmark  (Ctrtl+,) to go back to where you were.  If you just want to push a bookmark you can use push-bookmark.

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
Gosh, I never knew that! It would explain why I sometimes get unexplained bookmarks what popping them off the stack  :o

Thanks, Graham.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
There is a find-tag command that does goto-definition without doing the push-bookmark also, but in the long run, you'll find sticking with push-tag a lot more usable.

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »
I'll bear that in mind, thanks. I'm not a particularly heavy user of this since my preferred MO is to show the definition in a separate window (leaving the original file as-is in my main editing window), so I don't often want to go back where I came from, if you see what I mean. Bookmarks I use for going back to something I didn't want to deal with right then.

SeeCwriter

• Hero Points: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »
I haven't used push-tags before, but after reading this thread, I tried Ctrl- and it just closes whatever file has the focus. I looked up the key-binding for push-tag and it says it's Ctrl+. (the period is part of the key sequence). And when I press Ctrl+, with or without the period, Diffzilla pops up.
I'm using SE v24.0.0.8.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »
'+' is not part of the key sequence, just a separator.  Try pressing ctrl and '.' without the '+'.

SeeCwriter

• Hero Points: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »
Doh!  Works better.