Author Topic: Settings not saved if SE crashes before closing and reopening  (Read 416 times)

jorick

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 16
Settings not saved if SE crashes before closing and reopening
« on: November 20, 2019, 07:08:51 pm »
I work in a company where everyone has a laptop that's normally connected to a dock on the desk, but the laptop can be disconnected to take to meetings, etc.

I entered a bunch of settings via the options box earlier today.  I wasn't able to close and reopen SE to save the settings because I had some unnamed files open and a sudden meeting announcement arose where I needed to take my laptop.  After the meeting, I redocked to find that SE was hosed and using 100% of one of my processor cores.  So I closed and reopened it.  A couple of files open at the time were restored by Autosave.  The unnamed files were only notes so no big deal.  But the settings that I set were lost.

Why is it so hard for SE to save the settings to disk when OK is clicked?  There are times where I can't restart SE (as described above) so the settings won't get saved for a while.  There is no Save to Disk button in the option box and there are no buttons anywhere else that I know of where I can save the configuration with only one click.

All I want is a no-brainer solution so that I can save my options without having to resort to drastic methods (restart, custom macro) to do the save.  Even if it's an extra button on the options screen or toolbar (not one that I have to program the macro for myself).

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 119
Re: Settings not saved if SE crashes before closing and reopening
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 08:10:48 pm »
For a manual saving of the config, you can customize one of the toolbars you use to add a button, and bind it to the save-config command.  Right click a toolbar you want to add the button to, select Toolbars -> Customize,  in the dialog select "User Definable Tools", and then drag whatever icon you want for the button up into the toolbar.  Then you can right-click on the button in the toolbar, and enter "save-config" as the command.

You can also tell SlickEdit to save the configuration automatically when changes are detected.  In the  Tools ->  Options dialog, go to Application Options -> Exit, and change "Save Configuration" to "Save configuration immediately".

jorick

• Hero Points: 16
Re: Settings not saved if SE crashes before closing and reopening
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »
Thanks!  I had no idea there was a Save Immediately setting.  A hero point for ya!