Author Topic: Turn off hover in editing, but not in debugging?  (Read 1844 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
Turn off hover in editing, but not in debugging?
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:33:13 PM »
When my mouse hovers over some symbols while I'm editing, a popup window appears. I often find it intrusive and I would like to turn it off. However when I am debugging I would like the hover enabled.

Which options to use to accomplish this? When I do "Tools->Options" and search "hover", nothing shows up.

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
Re: Turn off hover in editing, but not in debugging?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:56:37 PM »
Seems like a reasonable and probably not to difficult thing to do, since hovering while debugging shows the value of the symbol and hovering while editing shows the definition/declaration of the symbol.  Personally, I like to have both, but I can understand wanting to have control over that.  I'm actually not sure that these are controlled by the same option now.  If they are, it probably makes sense to separate them; they are very different.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:00:14 PM »
For the popup while editing, that should be in the Context Tagging section for the language options, under "Show info for symbol under mouse". 

The setting for debugging is global, and not per-language, it's in Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> General,  "Show value of symbol under mouse." 

I did a quick check to make sure they're still separately controllable, so if it's not working for you, send in your latest user.cfg.xml, and we'll take a look at it.  And I added a note to add "hover" to the search terms for those popup settings, since that search term makes sense.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 02:53:51 PM »
Thanks Patrick!

Is there also a way I can set these from a SlickC macro file? I like to have my configuration changes scriptable as well.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »
Short macro you can pull the pieces out of:
Code: [Select]
#include "slick.sh"
#import "debug.e"
#require "se/lang/api/LanguageSettings.e"
using se.lang.api.LanguageSettings;

defmain()
{
   // Global debugging mousover
   def_debug_options |= VSDEBUG_OPTION_MOUSE_OVER_INFO;

// Per language mouse over setting.