Author Topic: v24: DIFFzilla no longer remembers window positions and state  (Read 2482 times)

sigmund

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
v24: DIFFzilla no longer remembers window positions and state
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:20:02 am »
I *love* the DIFFzilla speed-up for multi-file diffs with directories containing many files.

However, there are unfortunately also a few regressions for DIFFzilla released with v24 of SlickEdit:
  • The window position and maximized state is not remembered for the Multi-File Diff window.
  • The window position and maximized state is not remembered for the DIFFzilla Pro window after hitting Alt+D for a file in multi-file diff.
  • Multi-file diff seems to be about one second slower when there are few files to diff.
  • The first file to diff is not automatically selected, so one cannot hit Alt+D right away to start diffing.

It would also be nice if DIFFzilla could understand trailing forward slashes so that I could get rid of this hack in my .gitconfig file (this is not a regression):
Code: [Select]
[diff]
tool = vsdiff
[difftool "vsdiff"]
cmd = 'C:/Program Files/SlickEdit Pro 24.0.0/win/vsdiff.exe' $LOCAL../left $REMOTE../right

Without "../left" and "../right", I get a SlickEdit error dialog that says: "Error in Path 1".  If I replace the cmd with echo $LOCAL $REMOTE, then I get this output which makes it clear why the hack is working:
C:\Users\VikS\AppData\Local\Temp\git-difftool.a23132/left/ C:\Users\VikS\AppData\Local\Temp\git-difftool.a23132/right/
Here is my "About SlickEdit" output:

SlickEdit Pro 2019 (v24.0.0.8 64-bit)

Serial number: WB943076
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\24\slickedit.lic

Build Date: October 2, 2019
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 10.00.0 
Memory: 45% Load, 14875MB/32648MB Physical, 19048MB/37512MB Page File, 5543MB/134217727MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\tools\JPSoft\TCMD25\tcc.exe /LD /LH
Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1080

Project Type: Microsoft Visual Studio Csharp
Language: .gitconfig (Plain Text)
Encoding: Automatic

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 24.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,87703MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Users\VikS\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\24.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,87703MB free)
Migrated from: C:\Users\VikS\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\23.0.2\
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:20:19 am by sigmund »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 137
Re: v24: DIFFzilla no longer remembers window positions and state
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:33 pm »
I'm glad you noticed the performance enhancement.

I'll look into why it's losing it's position.

The first file not being automatically selected is because it's done asynchronously, and I overlooked the need to do select an item once there is one in the tree.

I can probably fix the forward slash issue because the editor supports them most places.  It's probably doing an overzealous check for a valid filename.

I should be able to get these fixed.  I don't know for sure if it will be a hotfix or have to wait until 24.0.1.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 10:21:11 pm »
I can't reproduce the first 3 of these.  Is this when running DIFFzilla from the editor, or using vsdiff?

sigmund

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:28 pm »
From the command line, run vsdiff dir1 dir2 to recursively compare all the files in two directories.  Before, the "Multi-File Diff" window that was displayed would remember its maximized state.  Similarly, when selecting a file and hitting Alt+D, the DIFFzilla Pro window being displayed would also respect its previous state.

Whenever I run a directory diff now, the first thing I have to do is hit Windows+Arrow-up to maximize the "Multi-File Diff" dialog, and then hit Windows+Arrow-up again after Alt+D to maximize the DIFFzilla Pro window.  Before I did not have to do this.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:46:25 pm »
OK.  I'm not sure if I can select the first item because the user could have changed it while it is still running.

sigmund

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:06 pm »
Why cannot the "Multi-File Diff" window and the DIFFzilla Pro window behave the same way as e.g. the SlickEdit window with regards to respecting the previous window position/maximized state?  They used to do that, and I see no reason why this should no longer be the case.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 11:53:10 pm »
I suspect that it just didn't get restored because there's a different code path to launch the dialog.  I'll take care of it.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 07:18:08 pm »
This is fixed for the next hotfix and 24.0.1.

sigmund

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:16:44 am »
Excellent, thank you :)