Author Topic: autolist/complete: show entries that contain substring instead of starting  (Read 2542 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
When I do auto-list/complete and I'm presented with a list of candidates, the list gets narrowed down to whatever starts with, for example if I have:

structInstance.abc

The list narrows down to anything that starts with "abc", but sometimes I know "abc" is in the entry I want, but it doesn't start with "abc".

So having a way to get the list narrowed down to all entries that "contain" "abc" instead of just starting with "abc" would be very useful.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: autolist/complete: show entries that contain substring instead of starting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »
The find symbol tool-window can do that but it lacks any way of entering a chosen symbol into your source code.  Ideally there would be a command that brings the tool-window up with any partially typed name in it and "match-substring" automatically ticked, up-arrow down-arrow keys work without having to use tab, <enter> inserts the symbol, <ctrl-enter> goes to the symbol - and if it's the name of a function, the function argument help popup comes up automatically after you insert the symbol  - and a left parenthesis is inserted automatically.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
Re: autolist/complete: show entries that contain substring instead of starting
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
Just an FYI, we have an option for this on our future-feature list, scheduled behind a major amount of work to improve auto-list performance in order to support it.

rowbearto

I vote for improvement of auto-list performance in version 25 - it does slow me down in my HUGE C++ project, would be nice if it was faster.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
I vote for improvement of auto-list performance in version 25 - it does slow me down in my HUGE C++ project, would be nice if it was faster.
Can you give some more details on how it slows you down - do you have auto completion enabled or do you use it on demand?  Roughly how long do you have to wait - what is a typical sequence.  How long does push-tag (Ctrl-dot) take?

rowbearto

Mainly when I type "objectinstance.", after pressing the dot I have to wait, sometimes (but rarely) even a few seconds, before I get an autolist of the struct/class members. More often it is about 1 second or so.

push-tag is pretty fast and I'm not complaining about that. autocomplete can also be slow similar to pressing dot after an object instance.