Author Topic: Source code pro font can't be displayed correctly in SE edit window on windows10  (Read 726 times)

hellomoto

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
hi,

After I upgraded my computer to windows 10, and when I use any of the "dark" style color profile such "black" or "chalkboard",  the "source code pro" font can't be displayed correctly in the edit window, the display picture is attached.
But when switch the color profile to any of the "light" style, the font displays correctly.

And on the other editor such as intellij idea or notepad++, there isn't such an issue.

My SEversion:21.0.3
Computer: Thinkpad t490
Font: Source code pro, https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/source-code-pro#fonts-section

has anybody met this issue? Could anyone tell me how to solve it?

Thanks!
Robin
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:46:23 am by hellomoto »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 432
Hmm...couldn’t figure out how/where to download this font.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 06:14:43 pm by Clark »

Graeme

• Hero Points: 323
I found it here
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source+Code+Pro

also on the Adobe site if you sign in with google and click the "activate font" button it installs automatically.  In slickedit it doesn't appear as a fixed font - untick fixed fonts.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Thanks Graeme.

I need some help with understanding exactly what doesn't look right. Right now, all I can say is on a low res monitor (1080P) it doesn't look as good as on a higher res monitor (2k surface laptop). It looks as good or better than courier new. Of course, I could be missing something obvious.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:00:55 pm by Clark »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 440
@hellomoto:  I see that you are on 21.0.3, are you expecting ligature support?  That was added in SlickEdit 2019 (24.0.0).  You will need the 64-bit version.

hellomoto

• Community Member
Thanks Graeme.

I need some help with understanding exactly what doesn't look right. Right now, all I can say is on a low res monitor (1080P) it doesn't look as good as on a higher res monitor (2k surface laptop). It looks as good or better than courier new. Of course, I could be missing something obvious.
Hello Clark,
yes, it is 1080P, because I used a external big LED monitor. Lap-tab's screen is harmful to neck and eyes for long use, smaller display point, head down..

I will show you the screen capture when this font is well displayed. The only difference from the not well displayed one is : this picture is captured when setting SE to use a light color style: EggShell,  and for better displaying effect I changed the font size to 14,
please see the attachment,

thanks!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:06:12 am by hellomoto »

hellomoto

• Community Member
@hellomoto:  I see that you are on 21.0.3, are you expecting ligature support?  That was added in SlickEdit 2019 (24.0.0).  You will need the 64-bit version.
I have tried to test this issue on the latest SE(24.0.1), it has this issue too.

I think this issue is most related with windows 10, because on windows7, the SE works very well with this font, this font is really beautiful with the dark color scheme.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:30:46 am by hellomoto »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
Eggshell has bold turned on for keywords. Does it help if you turn on bold for one of the dark color profiles?

What is your display resolution?

hellomoto

• Community Member
Eggshell has bold turned on for keywords. Does it help if you turn on bold for one of the dark color profiles?

What is your display resolution?
Turning on bold for dark color profile doesn't help,
the display resolution is 1920X1200

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
It seems like this font looks a little worse (grainier) with a dark color profile but only on your machine. I can't reproduce this on the machines I tested. I can only guess there is something weird going on with Windows 10 fonts.

The attached pictures are comparisons of this font on a 2k surface laptop vs a much lesser DPI 1080p desktop display. With my test cases, this font doesn't look worse when using the "black" color profile vs "eggshell" color profile. I did change the keyword of the "black" color profile to bold so you could see a thinkness comparison. Other elements don't have bold really don't look too thin.

Eggshell has more elements bolded than just the "keyword" element type.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:18:46 pm by Clark »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
@hellomoto:

Could you post a capture of your Font Options?  Tools > Options > Appearance > Fonts...

I am curious if you have "Use anti-aliasing" checked, and which Source Code Pro font weight you are using.  Have you considered just trying using the "Source Code Pro Medium" font weight.  That seems to look considerably better with a dark background on my machine.

Also, are you using your display at it's native resolution or do you have scaling enabled in your display settings?  Also, do you have ClearType enabled, and have you tried using the ClearType text tuner to fine-tune the text to your display?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:04:53 pm by Dennis »

hellomoto

• Community Member
@Clark,
Thanks for your great test! Maybe this issue only happens on my computer(windows 10 on thinkpad t490)...

hellomoto

• Community Member
@hellomoto:

Could you post a capture of your Font Options?  Tools > Options > Appearance > Fonts...

I am curious if you have "Use anti-aliasing" checked, and which Source Code Pro font weight you are using.  Have you considered just trying using the "Source Code Pro Medium" font weight.  That seems to look considerably better with a dark background on my machine.

Also, are you using your display at it's native resolution or do you have scaling enabled in your display settings?  Also, do you have ClearType enabled, and have you tried using the ClearType text tuner to fine-tune the text to your display?
ok, please see the attachment.
The "anti-aliasing" is checked, I have tested to uncheck it, the effect is almost same.
The LED display is on it's native resolution: 1920*1200, it's HP E242.
With the "Source code Pro Medium" font, with dark color profile, it can't be displayed clearly too.

As I have said, this issue appears after I changed my computer to t490/win10, on win7, SE works very well with this font very well.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:01:35 am by hellomoto »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
Did you install the ".ttf" or the ".otf" versions of the font?  It should not be an issue with Windows 10, but I have read that Windows will render the TTF versions better than OTF.

You may want to un-install the fonts, maybe reboot to clear caches, and then re-install the TTF versions, make sure you install ALL 14 weights, if you missed one, that could explain the display issues.

If you are on Windows 10 Creator edition or later, you could also install the Source Code Pro Variable font, and see if that works better.  As an added bonus, it is easier to install since all the weights are packaged into one TTF.   https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-code-pro/tree/release/VAR

Both Source Code Pro and Source Code Pro Variable display clearly on my Windows 10 machine with a dark background at native resolution.

hellomoto

• Community Member
Did you install the ".ttf" or the ".otf" versions of the font?  It should not be an issue with Windows 10, but I have read that Windows will render the TTF versions better than OTF.

You may want to un-install the fonts, maybe reboot to clear caches, and then re-install the TTF versions, make sure you install ALL 14 weights, if you missed one, that could explain the display issues.

If you are on Windows 10 Creator edition or later, you could also install the Source Code Pro Variable font, and see if that works better.  As an added bonus, it is easier to install since all the weights are packaged into one TTF.   https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-code-pro/tree/release/VAR

Both Source Code Pro and Source Code Pro Variable display clearly on my Windows 10 machine with a dark background at native resolution.
Changing to TTF really helps!
Thank you very much, applaud for you that you are so professional!