Author Topic: CPU hog  (Read 256 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 28
CPU hog
« on: January 07, 2020, 07:25:07 pm »
Just noticed that SE24 is soaking up 12% of a 4GHz I7 doing nothing. At least, I can't see anything that it's doing. Procmon just gives a stream of 'process profiling' messages, once per second, and nothing else - could SE have some profiling code enabled?

This occurs with a workspace that has a 'normal' working project plus a reference big project (ESP-IDF). With another workspace SE uses practically no CPU when I'm not editing. Strangely, SE23 doesn't show the same symptom with the same workspace, which is why I think it might something enabled in SE24 that isn't in SE23.

Edit: this is 24.0 - just noticed 24.1 is available so I'll try that.

Later: Whatever it is, it is transient - on workspace load the CPU pegs at 12% for several minutes but eventually it gets bored and goes back to normal, so not a significant problem (and explains why I didn't notice it before).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:58:41 pm by dunkers »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
Re: CPU hog
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:42:08 pm »
Pay attention to the status line.  It sounds to me like SlickEdit is busy building a workspace tag file.

If you can catch them in the act, you can usually isolate momentary performance issues by using Slick-C profiling:  Macro > Slick-C Profiling > ...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:43:56 pm by Dennis »

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:52:23 pm »
The little clock face would be green if something background was happening though, wouldn't it? And there would be disk activity. Neither were happening that I could tell. I'll give the profiling a whirl shortly.

dunkers

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 01:25:33 am »
So, had a spare few minutes and got the profiler going. Would you Adam and Eve it - hardly any CPU use at all. It's playing with me.