Author Topic: That thing, there, what is it?  (Read 3631 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
That thing, there, what is it?
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:32:52 PM »
Checking all the goodness in 24.1, I realise I have no idea what most of the itsy-bitsy icons or symbols mean that appear in the various margins (edit window, toolbars, etc). A peruse of the help doesn't help - lots of icons and symbols entries, but none for this kind of stuff.

Is the info actually in the help file? If so, what's the magic word to get to it?

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
Re: That thing, there, what is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:23:30 AM »
I've only noticed the question marks in the big find dialog as a significant change vs. the previous version.  Are there other things that have been added?  I didn't notice any mention of such things in the release notes.  What magic has the SE team added without telling us about it?

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 03:03:43 AM »
I didn't know what most of them were in the previous version either! Or the one  before that. Just that right now I am going through the new features to find out what I've skipped over the years, and realised these things I see but ignore without thinking about them might be useful :)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 10:42:39 AM »
Can you post a screen shot?

24.0 added Stackable References.  So you can get references to A, while searching through them get references to B, and then pop back to where you were the references to A and continue searching through those.  This does add a different type of marker to the margin, could it be that?

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
So you can get references to A, while searching through them get references to B

Umm... how does one do that? I'm not sure it means what I think it means!

Can you post a screen shot?

Added two. The orange left arrows I know about from a previous post (assignment) but the down arrows? Ah! And the pointy things in the margin I couldn't quite grasp (since they are not all the same) are the assignments plus ordinary references. (Speaking of these, it would be cool if they appeared in the minimap but I haven't thought through this one beyond that.)

There are likely others. In fact there are others but I know about some. There are pages in the help where these are shown and even described, but there isn't any all-in-one table of anything that might occur. Where it's a specific tool window, like references, it might be reasonable to look in help for that tool window page (although, as noted, these ones don't make it that far), but in the edit window the icons could be the result of almost anything so it's very hard to know what you might have to search on to get even close.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »
The second one is definitely Stackable References.

Imagine you're looking for a reference to function A, and you go through several references.  Then you see a function called B, and need to get references for it.  You go through some number of references for B, and then you don't need to see anymore.  When you press the key to pop, you'll go back to where you pushed the initial reference for B, but the reference list will be in the same place it was when you were getting references for function A.  So if you press the key bound to find-next, it will find the next reference to A.

dunkers

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
Ah! Thanks for the explanation. I knew about the stack but it was the way you described its use that makes it, er, useful :)

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 12:25:29 PM »
That and the options to filter references (especially assignments, in my case) are very powerful.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
The gray arrow down, is actually a ground connection symbol from electronics schematics notation.  It symbolizes that the symbol is static.

If you move your mouse over these icons, there will be a small pop-up explaining the icon.

Within the editor control, you can also do Ctrl+Plus and Ctrl+Minus to increase/decrease the font size, respectively, if you want to zoom in and see a larger version of the icon for clarity.  When there are multiple icons on the same line, they overlay with the highest priority icon being shifted up slightly, like a stack of cards.

dunkers

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »
It symbolizes that the symbol is static.

Brill, thanks. That one in particular had me puzzled.

If you move your mouse over these icons, there will be a small pop-up explaining the icon.

Kind of. You get a list of all the showing icons (I presume) but it doesn't tell you which icon means what. Indeed, it's not clear (until you mentioned it) that this is what it does show, since it's just some random comma-separated list. I would expect a single description to pop up for the specific icon the mouse is over, hence why I hadn't previously associated the right icon with the right description.

But now I know, thank you :)

dunkers

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
But now I know

Well, I thought I did! But consider the attached screenshot - isn't the left-arrow meant to be assignment?

Dennis

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
There was a bug in the code that assembled the mouse-over information for the icon overlays.  Not hot-fixable, so it will be fixed in the next major release after 24.0.1.

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,17397.0.html

dunkers

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
OK, thanks :)

Dennis

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 07:00:28 PM »
BTW, I forgot to mention, the gutter icons in the editor control, while they do not show up on the mini-map, per-se, they do show on on scroll bar markup column (the vertical bar between the mini-map and the scroll bar) as tiny lines matching the highlight color for the item involved.

dunkers

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 10:54:37 PM »
They don't seem to here. I don't seem to have any appreciable line between minimap and scrollbar, though - there is a bar on the left of the minimap (other side to the scrollbar). Could that be the markup bar? Still doesn't show anything but it's nice to know what these things are meant to be called :)