Author Topic: Issues with macOS Catalina  (Read 880 times)

arnaldo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Issues with macOS Catalina
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 02:04:08 pm »
The problem with drag/drop not working when no files are open will be fixed in 24.0.2. No date set for 24.0.2.

The easiest work around I found is to put the focus on the SlickEdit command line and try again.

Thanks for the update. Lets just hope 24.0.2 doesn't take too look (and include macOS dark mode!).

For for a workaround, as I mentioned, I'm keeping the "Preview" window opened, docked and flushed to the bottom of the SlickEdit window. It's then out of the way except for a tiny "line", that don't disturb the overall user experience, as can be seen here:

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17418.0;attach=10333;image

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 429
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 05:52:04 pm »
Have you configured SlickEdit to use it's internal dark theme (Tools>Options>Appearance>General>Application Theme -- Set this to Dark)? You will also want to choose a dark profile for the edit window. I like Slate. Tools>Options>Appearance>Colors).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:14:55 am by Clark »

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:45 pm »
Have you configured SlickEdit to use it's internal dark theme (Tools>Options>Appearance>General>Application Theme -- Set this to Dark)? You will also want to choose a dark profile for the edit window. I like Slate. Tools>Options>Appearance>Colors).

Oh yes! I've tried that. But the macOS dark mode provides more than the content of the windows that you get with the Application Theme. Don't take me wrong, but setting "Tools>Options>Appearance>General>Application Theme" to "Dark" doesn't do a complete job.

Basically with macOS dark mode all window decorations as well as system popups will be set to "dark". It's really strange to have something like the first attached image.

What is expected is something like the second attachment (simulated with Photoshop). Notice that there is a small difference on the background black color from the title bad (macOS background black in Dark Mode) and SlickEdit theme black background. But anything is better that the "mixed" mode, as seen in the first attachment.

Since "Dark" mode is a system option, not a program one, "Tools>Options>Appearance>General>Application Theme" could have an "automatic" option to allow for following the system default. Something would be needed to handle "Tools>Options>Appearance>Colors" too (for system level switching).

macOS Dark Mode has been around for sometime and almost all Professional tools have fully embraced it. SlickEdit is one of the few exceptions.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 429
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 09:23:46 pm »
We're looking into fixing the window title issue. Looks easy but apple added a major painting performance problem with the 10.14 and 10.15 SDKs (dark theme support SDKs). The net effect is a gazillion extra paint events (drawRect: calls). This issue is what has delayed this fix.

SlickEdit could use an "Automatic" theme which chooses the theme based on the OS theme. Also, SlickEdit's dark theme could be tweaked to more closely match the OS theme.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 02:56:27 pm »
We're looking into fixing the window title issue. Looks easy but apple added a major painting performance problem with the 10.14 and 10.15 SDKs (dark theme support SDKs). The net effect is a gazillion extra paint events (drawRect: calls). This issue is what has delayed this fix.

SlickEdit could use an "Automatic" theme which chooses the theme based on the OS theme. Also, SlickEdit's dark theme could be tweaked to more closely match the OS theme.

Glad to know it's been looked into!!! And hope to see it soon  :)