Author Topic: Issues with macOS Catalina  (Read 3624 times)

arnaldo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Issues with macOS Catalina
« on: January 21, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »
I'm running the latest macOS version (24.0.1.0) under macOS Catalina (10.15.2) and I'm having a hard time with drag-n-drop.

1-When SlickEdit starts without opening a file, I can't drag-n-drop a file to the interface. It will simply ignore the dropped file. If I open any file (like creating an empty one), I can then drag-n-dop "some files" (see bellow).

2-Any files that has a " " (blank, ASCII 0x20) in the filename or path name will cause an error like:

Error opening file: Path not found://Users/me/Destop/Test%20Folder/file.txt

Simply renaming the folder from "Test Folder" to "Test_Folder" (that is removing the blank) allows drag-n-drop to work.

I've been using past versions of SlickEdit for years on macOS and I've never seen this, only when I upgraded to the lastest version.

Has anyone seen this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Arnaldo.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Issues with macOS Catalina
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:37 AM »
Could not reproduce #1. I'm able to drop files without any files being opened first. Files with spaces aren't found same as #2.

Reproduced #2.

We will look into this.

my test case was a little different than yours. I didn't have a directory with spaces. Just the file part had spaces. Seems like your problem #1 is really #2.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:43:23 AM by Clark »

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
Thanks for looking into this issue.

It doesn't really matter where the blank is: path or filename. It will not open when dropped.

As for issue #1, I specifically tested it with a file without a blank and I can't get it to open. As I did a fresh macOS install (so there is no leftover from a past version of SlickEdit) I've devised yet another test: I "Reset Window Layout" and guess what? With the "Default" Window layout it works!

So I closed all the Windows, closed SlickEdit and tried again: doesn't work. I've noticed that when I doesn't work, the dragged file does not get the "+" icon to indicate that a drop handle is present in the underlying window. I could not determine which Window combination causes it to work (I know it's a weird combination as I tried one by one and I know it's not a single Window).

So to reproduce #1: close all windows inside SlickEdit, restart SlickEdit and try dropping ANY file.

Edit #1: In time: once a file is opened, drop works even with all the windows closed (provided that SlickEdit is not closed). If SlickEdit starts with all Windows closed, it will take a "combination" (ex: file window or all default windows) of Windows open to make drop "start" working.

Edit #2: Did some extra testing and noticed another really WEIRD window combo that make it work: If the "Preview" window is DOCKED when it opens (as in the Default Window setup), drop works after SlickEdit starts. If "Preview" is FLOATING, it does not work. Sounds like there is some problem in the drop handle management.

The good about "Docked Preview" working is that I can have it "flushed" all the way to the bottom, and aside from the small "drag line", it behaves as it's supposed after a restart (I use a clean SlickEdit workspace).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:58:19 AM by arnaldo »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
It's possible that the fix I put in for #2 will fix #1. Looks like we were using a deprecated API method. I couldn't even find the docs for it.

Let us know if this new installer fixes both problems. If it doesn't, post a picture of your SlickEdit tool window layout.

Note that dropping a file on an undocked tool window won't work. It's best to drop in the MDI area.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
Great to know it's really being looked into.

You mention a "new installer" for testing. How do I donwload it?

thanks again!

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
PM sent.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »
Just tried the "new installer". It fixes issue #2 (path/filename with a blank).

However, issue #1 still not working. I've attached my "plain" window as a reference. If I start with a totally empty window I cannot drop ANY file on it. If I open/create a file, or place a docked Preview window, it works.

Thanks again!

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
ops.. wrong screen. That one has a "Preview" window flushed to the bottom.

This is the right screenshot.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
I've finally reproduced this. Pretty weird. Seems to depend on which/how many tool windows are docked. I don't know if it's predictable. The easiest way to reproduce this is remove all tool windows and restart SlickEdit.

This one could be tricky to fix (in Qt's code). 24.0.1 is using a slightly newer SDK which seemed to have caused these problems. I don't think issue is specific to Catalina. I was able to reproduce the space problem on an older version of macOS.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:06:07 PM »
Glad you were able to reproduce it.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 06:30:57 PM »
slightly unrelated, but worth mentioning:

I tested on a VM (VMWare) running Catalina, in case something went really bad (can't afford to reinstall). Then I decided to install on my production Mac and it started popping all sorts of slick-c errors and closed. After that I could no longer start it. Tried reinstalling and no go. Next I went to remove the "state" (vslick.sta) and "restore" (vrestore.slk) files and to my surprise they are no longer located under ~/.slickedit but now on ~/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/<version>. Once removed these files, it opened again. But issue #1 is still present....

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:29 PM »
Sounds like the state file got corrupted.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »
Just wanted to record the location of the files, as I could not find it on the Forums (the new one) and had to search the filesystem. At least past experience with corrupted state file served me and I have it on my list of helpful SlickEdit notes.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »
Your Help-->About SlickEdit-->Program Information tab has the location of the install and user config files.

Best,
SlickEdit Support

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
The problem with drag/drop not working when no files are open will be fixed in 24.0.2. No date set for 24.0.2.

The easiest work around I found is to put the focus on the SlickEdit command line and try again.