Author Topic: Linux tool windows cannot be moved off screen  (Read 772 times)

timur

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Linux tool windows cannot be moved off screen
« on: January 28, 2020, 05:55:31 pm »
I don't have enough room on my monitors to show all the tool windows I use (References and Search mostly).  However, when I try to move any of those windows partially off-screen (so that only the left or top half of the window is visble), Slickedit moves the window back.  The main Slickedit Edit window doesn't do this.

Any way this can be fixed?  I understand that sometimes a window will "disappear" if it gets moved totally off screen, but that's never been a problem for me.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: Linux tool windows cannot be moved off screen
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:43:10 pm »
Hmm, I can see that with the window manager I'm running now.  It seems to be a little inconsistent to where it puts the window back to as well.  But only for the tool windows like you said.  We'll take a look at it.  Thanks for the report.

timur

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 01:32:48 am »
Any update on this?  This behavior is driving me crazy.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 03:48:03 pm »
I don't think there's anything we can do for the upcoming point release.  Normally, re-parenting and changing the Qt style of the tool windows would take care of that behavior.  But workarounds we have had to make to support unified menu systems constrain us from actually making that change.  (ie, Ubuntu Unity global app menu, and the same supplied by some KDE add-ons).

We will revisit it when we move up to Qt 5 for Linux. 

timur

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 04:40:02 pm »
Will this fix go into v23?

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 05:26:01 pm »
No, it will have to be in a major version release.  Moving the Qt level up is too big of a change for a point release. 

timur

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 10:43:35 pm »
No, it will have to be in a major version release.  Moving the Qt level up is too big of a change for a point release.

I just tried the demo of v25, and the problem still exists.  Do you have any plans to fix this?  I can't justify upgrading as long as newer versions are buggier than older ones.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 327
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 11:14:37 pm »
can you explain a bit more about why you want a tool-window half off the screen?

timur

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:14:18 pm »
So for starters, I used to be able to do this prior to v23.  So as far as I'm concerned, it's a regression.

Second, the main window can be moved partially off-screen already.  Only the tool windows can't.

Third, I think I explained it in my first post.  I need to sometimes move a window off-screen so that I can see something else, but I don't want to minimize it because then I can't find it again.  Moving it off-screen and back on again is quick and easy.  If there was a button I could press that would let me quickly hide/restore a tool window, I could probably work with that.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 457
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 03:55:28 pm »
For v26, we are hoping to have an alternate 64-bit Linux installer available which is based on Qt5. I suspect we will post a download link on the forum. Not sure if or when the default 64-bit Linux installer will be changed to Qt5. Given the potential Linux compatibility issues with switching to Qt5, we will have to wait and see what happens. We have found that 32-bit applications are not possible with Qt5 because it's too buggy. The Linux 32-bit version will only use Qt4. The 32-bit Windows version of SlickEdit uses Qt4 but the 64-bit windows version of SlickEdit uses Qt5.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 327
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 05:38:21 am »
Third, I think I explained it in my first post.  I need to sometimes move a window off-screen so that I can see something else, but I don't want to minimize it because then I can't find it again.  Moving it off-screen and back on again is quick and easy.  If there was a button I could press that would let me quickly hide/restore a tool window, I could probably work with that.

ok, that's why I asked.  There's some commands for hiding and showing tool windows.

Slick V23 introduced save_named_layout and load_named_layout commands.  These allow you to save and restore all your tool-windows and toolbars with a particular layout  - you get prompted for a name for each layout.  So if you call save_named_layout from the command line and save a layout as "t1" you can create a command to load that layout like this  - and bind a key to it.

Code: [Select]
_command void  t1() name_info(',')
{
   load_named_layout("t1");
}

There are also built in macros to activate and toggle tool-window visibility  e.g.
activate_clipboards and toggle_clipboards
There's no "hide_clipboards" command but you can make one like this

Code: [Select]
_command void hide_clipboards() name_info(',')
{
   activate_clipboards();
   toggle_clipboards();
}

Have a look at the attached xxutils.e file  show_xmenu1 command to see how to create a popup menu of your own.

There are also commands to save restore the set of open files
save_named_files, load_named_files

and save restore a session
save_named_state, load_named_state

There's a github repo here that has my xretrace macros including xxutils
https://github.com/jporkka/slickMacros

The github repo is mostly jporkkahtc macros  - see the toolWindows folder for a macro that can toggle or float a tool-window.