Author Topic: pop-bookmark executing pop-reference-stack when there are no more bookmarks  (Read 212 times)

JeffB

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
Apparently, if there are no more bookmarks to pop, the pop-bookmark reverts to pop-reference-stack.  Is this intended behavior?  This is pretty annoying for me when I get to the last bookmark and instead of stopping, I start losing the references history.

Jeff

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
Whey you do a push-ref, references are pushed on to the bookmarks stack.  This is so that when you do the corresponding pop-bookmark after you are done with going through those references, they will come back off of the references stack.

The problem here is that the bookmarks stack is limited, so it's easy for references to get lost off the bottom of the bookmarks stack.  That is why when you reach the bottom of the bookmarks stack, we also check if there are references searches stacked up to remove, otherwise, the references stack would accumulate in an unrestricted manner.  This functionality is also a convenience, because if you want to wipe out your entire bookmark navigation stack and clear stale references searches from the list, you can simply hold down Ctrl+Comma until you hit rock bottom.

The curative solution for you would probably be to increase the max size of your bookmarks stack.  Tools > Options > Editing > Bookmarks > Maximum stack depth (default was 15)

JeffB

• Hero Points: 14
I used the list of previous references as a separate list than the list of pushed bookmarks, but I understand the design intent here.

I've been putting off switching to using back/forward for navigation..maybe this is the right time to make the switch :)

Thanks!
Jeff