Author Topic: Slickedit Pro 2019 Hanging on close.  (Read 395 times)

lahughes

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Slickedit Pro 2019 Hanging on close.
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:39:33 am »
I am not sure if this is a MacOS Catalina problem but I upgraded to Catalina Feb. 15 and it seems like I've been having this problem since. When I try to exit Slickedit it just hangs while trying to close. I usually do a force quit to get out of it.

I am referencing a workspace that is on a remote server that I have connected to. All my files are saved so it's not asking whether to save them or not. I checked 'show all windows' to verify that there wasn't an extra window hiding somewhere.

I've attached the report collected by the 'force quit' option as well as the about slickedit output.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 425
Re: Slickedit Pro 2019 Hanging on close.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:57:30 pm »
Sounds like SlickEdit is hanging trying to access a remote file. There's nothing in the stack dump to help figure this out though. You could see if there is a difference if you access the files locally assuming you have enough disk space.

I have noticed that macOS seems to have much slower performance than Windows with our remote files. Catalina seems to have similar performance to older version of macOS as far as I can tell.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 04:32:00 pm »
I did check that I had access to the remote files. I was able to see them via Finder.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:20:17 pm »
Another note: I am able to save files just before trying to close.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 08:58:29 pm »
Try retagging your workspace:

* Project>Retag Workspace
* Uncheck "Retag files in background when possible" to get obvious feedback that it can finish. This does force a slower single threaded operation.

If your files are on a network, this could take a while to finish. I just want to rule how some sort of hang when tagging source files.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 09:20:55 pm »
The report shows that one thread was busy tagging a Python source file.  Sometimes it helps to right click on the SlickEdit icon in the dock and do a Show All Windows, in case if there is a dialog that somehow had fallen to the back.  Frequently, there can be a progress dialog when background tagging is trying to finish up jobs before the editor closes.

Another way to drill down on this sort of thing is to sample the process before killing it.  Activity Monitor > select SlickEdit > View > Sample Process...

That way you can see where the time is going before doing anything as violent as trying to kill the process.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 10:08:31 pm »
I did show all windows to make sure there wasn't a dialog box I needed to attend to. I started the tagging per Clark. It has been tagging 5513/10266 for at least 30 minutes. Looking at Activity Monitor SlickEdit is not responding. Please see the attachments.
I am able to get to that file from both finder as well as iTerm2. The file is 9.2k. When I looked at the file it looks like a help file for our application.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 11:27:04 pm »
Good news:  Looks like you have found a parsing bug and that is what is causing the hang.  Likely thing if you opened that specific file directly in the editor, it would hang there also.

Bad news:  The file name you see in the progress dialog isn't neccesarily the file that caused the hang.  Because we parse files so fast, to save on paints, we only update the progress every so often.  And also, I knew that the file that had caused the hang was a Python file from your previous information.  And finally, it's more likely that there would be a hang in the Python parser than the Rust parser.  I wrote the Rust parser.

Good news:  SlickEdit has a tagging logging feature.  Do the following:

1) start slickedit
   2) Macro > Set Macro Variable... > def_tagging_logging = 1
   3) Rebuild your workspace tag file -- let it hang
   4) Kill SlickEdit
   5) fetch the tagging log from your configuration directory/logs/tagging.log

The log will show when files were started and when they finished.  It's just a matter of finding the Python file that started and did not finish.  You could either post the log and let me find which file is causing the hang, or dig through it yourself and post the file that causes the hang.  You can verify that it is the problem file simply by opening that file directly in the editor, and I would expect it to hang as soon as we tried to parse it.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 04:25:47 pm »
Since I only have one python file open I know which one it is. I'll run those commands with that file open and send the info.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 07:25:26 pm »
I set the variable and caused the issue, but I can't seem to find either my configuration directory or a file named tagging.log. I assumed the Mac configuration directory was .slickedit but I don't seem to have that. I don't recall changing the location . . .

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 07:46:46 pm »
The help about information displays the configuration directory.

lahughes

• Community Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 05:52:37 pm »
Found it all. Thanks for the tip. I've attached the logging file.