Author Topic: (extra)column select  (Read 174 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 28
(extra)column select
« on: February 28, 2020, 01:12:22 pm »
Thought this was me being particularly shaky of hand, but it's not.

I am marking out a block of text to delete starting at the left margin. Swipe the mouse right, which is in normal selection mode, right click to get to column mode. Highlight the correct rows and columns, release left mouse button and the right column has increased by one! Very very repeatable.

So, try the reverse: start at the bottom right column and hold left mouse button, move up one line. The normal selection goes from the intended column to the line about the start. Right click and the start column has increased by one!

Something fishy going on.

SlickEdit Pro 2019 (v24.0.1.0 64-bit)

Edit: the selected columns have tabs, which I think may have something to do with it - trying mid-page on a selection with no tabs works as expected. Each line of the problem selection starts: "#define<tab><tab><tab>some text".  I am trying to delete the leading #define and tabs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:15:55 pm by dunkers »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
Re: (extra)column select
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:36:11 pm »
If the tabs are having an effect, try turning off "Inclusive block selection" and (Tools>Options>Editing>Selections).

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:51:04 pm »
That fixed it, thanks :)

Er... what is that setting? Seems to suggest it should include the extra character for all blocks, but it doesn't happen that way. And why might one want to do that?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to ask... surely the selected block is what's highlighted, so that selection should show the extra character during selection, not afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:53:12 pm by dunkers »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 425
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 02:56:14 pm »
Tab characters have "virtual spaces". Most configurations don't allow you to put the cursor in the virtual tab spaces and I wouldn't recommend tweaking things for that feature anyway.

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:36:03 pm »
Ah, OK thanks.