Author Topic: NFS, MAC O/S, SE and file locking issue  (Read 953 times)

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
NFS, MAC O/S, SE and file locking issue
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:11:58 pm »
I'm using MAC O/S and have had this issue with SE for a long time. I use MAC to NFS automount the workspace and use SE on my MAC to edit the files. SE likes to issue NFS locks. My IT group can't figure out how to setup NFS locking on ports that are fixed so that the firewall allows the lock protocol... yes I have given them the instructions but they are too busy to do the effort. So what happens is each time they reboot the server, the firewall blocks my access. Oh and I have given them the instructions to fix this for automatic reboot as well but they haven't implemented that either. And they have to reboot a lot (such a lovely IT team we have).

Bottom line is I want to prevent SE from requesting any file locking at all. I've tried the command line options mentioned in an earlier thread of mine from 2009 but that isn't helping (and hasn't helped with at least SE 23.x and 24.x).... https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,143.msg21372.html#msg21372

I'm still getting the nfs lock requests being rejected by the firewall. Then MAC O/S hangs the SE process and unless the firewall is reopened, SE is so bad off a kill -9 doesn't clean it up (probably deep in the kernel at that point). The process dies but the SE window is still there and won't go away. I have to reboot my MAC at that point.

Any ideas on how to completely prevent MAC O/S from any file locking using an NFS mount with SE?

Thanks!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 502
Re: NFS, MAC O/S, SE and file locking issue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:48:52 pm »
Hmm..The -sul invocation option is supposed to turn this off. I'll check if this is actually working.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:26:28 pm »
Looks like it's working. However, some files in the local configuration directory are still being opened using NFS file locking when SlickEdit is invoked. I'll see if we can fix that for 24.0.2 by setting this option sooner. Hopefully, that's possible.

I'm wondering if you are having problems because there are already existing file locks. Just a guess. Anyway, the -sul invocation option should do the trick. I tested tagging, editing a file, multi-file diff (not stand alone vsdiff which I don't think supports -sul), and multi-file searching.

rajkej

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:42:30 pm »
The only files I had on the server are the source code files. I'll run -sul again and capture the network and see what it shows.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:18:58 pm »
Make sure you run SlickEdit like this:

/Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/MacOS/vs -sul ...

And not like this:

open -a SlickEditPro2019 --args -sul

Which I'm pretty sure doesn't work.

rajkej

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 09:29:40 pm »
ahhh.. that could be it. I used the open form last time I tested it. The app opened so there wasn't any way for me to tell that the command line hadn't been parsed/whatnot.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 09:49:23 pm »
The —args way only supports a small subset of options but pretty much no invocation switches. You can specify a file name but not much else works.