Author Topic: Where are the tool tips settings?  (Read 1225 times)

QQSV

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Where are the tool tips settings?
« on: March 19, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »
I am using SE version 20.0.1.0 64 bit on Windows 10 pro (I think it's the latest SE.) My tool tips are appearing much too quickly. The help file says that tool tips can be configured via Tools --> Options --> Appearance --> Advanced. But when I navigate there, the only settings are Short key names, Maximize editor in full screen mode, and Show MDI menu in full screen mode. Nothing about mouse or tool tip settings. I don't think that I've done anything to remove settings from this tab (at least, not intentionally.) Where are the tool tip settings? (I found a forum posting pointing to ... --> Toolbars and the window on the right; it doesn't have anything about tool tips, either.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:21:08 PM by QQSV »

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
Re: Where are the tool tips settings?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
Tools > Options...

Type "tool tip" in the search field.  First page in the list will be "Appearance" > "Tool Window and Toolbar Options"

It's right there under Toolbars > Show tool tips > Delay (ms)

I will make a note to correct the help file.

QQSV

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
I found that page; I tried setting the delay time to 2000 ms. The tip still obscured my code very quickly. I then unchecked the Show tool tips box; the thing still obscures my code!
Does that page refer to tool tips for tool bars and tool windows only? I want to slow the symbol definitions that pop up when I hover over my C++ code. Is there a way to slow or disable those tips?

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »
Using the same options search technique, the next thing that matches is "Languages > All Languages > Context Tagging(R)".  There you can turn off the "show info for symbol under mouse" options.  You can adjust the delay time for this feature by going to "Tools > Options... > Editing > Context Tagging(R)", or find it by searching for "symbol under mouse".

QQSV

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »
Bingo! Thank you thank you.
A note: may I suggest that you add a pointer to this page in the help file when you correct it. It seems apropos, and it sure was difficult to figure out.