Author Topic: What's the shortcut for...  (Read 10866 times)

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
What's the shortcut for...
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »
What is the shortcut/keybinding (or the command name so I can bind it) for browsing the overloaded methods' suggestion popup (next/previous overload), which comes up after a "(" for example and has the 2 little blue arrows?

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: What's the shortcut for...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »
The command name is "function-argument-help", in most emulations it is bound to Alt+Comma.

dmw

• Hero Points: 15
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »
I think he's asking how to switch from one overload to the next, without using the mouse.  I would also like to know if this is possible.

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »
In part, the answer remains the same, hitting Alt+Comma again while function argument help is displayed will cycle to the next one.  This is the easiest to remember and type.

The specific short cut is Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown.

You can page through the function argument help documentation comments by hitting Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDown.

dmw

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the info, Dennis.  Ctrl-page up/down works, but Alt-comma does nothing after the initial pop-up.  Is there some setting somewhere that might affect this?  I'm using the Brief keymap, and I'm on OSX, if that matters.

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:21:08 PM »
Hi dmw,
I'm also using Brief keys and it works as Dennis described (at least for overloaded members) ???
BTW: Another goodie: Try SHIFT-UP/DOWN when pop-up is visible.
This also applies to ALT-DOT (list-symbols).

HS2

dmw

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
Shift-up/down!  Very cool!  I can't tell you how many times the pop-up has obscured something I needed to see.

Alt-comma (rather Command-comma) is definitely not doing anything for me besides bringing up the pop-up.  Perhaps this is a Mac-only issue?

dmw

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 07:45:09 PM »
I've also noticed lately that SlickEdit no longer makes bold the current argument in the pop-up.  Could these issues be related?

Dennis

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »
Is a different parameter bolded, or no parameter bolded at all?

As for the Alt+Comma issue, I suspect that the problem is related to some platform compatability weirdness surrounding the Alt and Meta keys on the Mac.  The codehelp module did not compensate for "Meta" as an alternate binding.  I have put in a potential fix for 12.0.2.

dmw

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:10:33 PM »
Is a different parameter bolded, or no parameter bolded at all?

No parameters are bolded.

As for the Alt+Comma issue, I suspect that the problem is related to some platform compatability weirdness surrounding the Alt and Meta keys on the Mac.  The codehelp module did not compensate for "Meta" as an alternate binding.  I have put in a potential fix for 12.0.2.

Thanks, Dennis.  I'll keep my eye out for it.

hs2

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 08:12:20 PM »
And does SE offer some matching e.g. variables as completions for the current arg ?
If it does, it's just not bold. Otherwise SE doesn't know the current arg.
HS2

dmw

Auto-function-help bold missing
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »
And does SE offer some matching e.g. variables as completions for the current arg ?
If it does, it's just not bold. Otherwise SE doesn't know the current arg.
HS2

It's doing the matching correctly; it offers suitable suggestions based on context.  It's just the bold that's missing.  (I didn't realize how incredibly useful that feature was until it was gone.)

hs2

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »
Too bad ... seems platform related. I keep my fingers crossed that it's fixed in v12.0.2, although it's already in final testing stage.

HS2

dmw

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 08:47:25 PM »
Breakthough!  I had the thought that maybe the selected font didn't have bold in its character set.  I went to check, and it was set to "Default dialog font".  I changed it to "Bitstream Vera Sans", and now the correct parameter appears in bold.

@Dennis I'm not sure if "Default dialog font" is the default mapping for parameter info, but I don't remember ever changing it.  If it is the default, could you make sure that on the Mac it maps to a font that includes a bold character set?

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 08:54:51 PM »
Hey guys! Thanks for your resposn. What I was looking for was the CTRL+PGUP/DOWN key binding! Also the shift+pgup/down is totally awesome too. Searching for the coresponding command in the Key Bindings dialog doesn't show up what those four keybindings are boud to though? Can I change them, then?

On a sidenote I am on 12.0.1 (no hotfix installed) on both windows and linux and the current argument is bold for me in C#.